Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Left Handed Options

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2006, 07:42 AM
Bronze Member

Left Handed Options

I've been searching for a new rifle to take to AK on a hunt. Being left handed my options are limited. I had decided to look for a left handed remmington in stainless steel. The only way to meet this requirement is to order through Remmington's custom shop. For what the Remmington Custom shop wants to basically asembly production parts I could get a true custom rifle. But with the lead time, it'll never be ready in time for my hunt. Someday I'll have a true custom build up, but for now the search for an off the shelf rifle continues.

I've looked at the weatherby Accumark. Anyone have any experience with these rifles. I understand that Weatherby no longer makes the left had version. Are these now made by someone else for Weatherby? The barrels are fluted stainless. The recieve is black. Any idea if the action is stainless? I'm concerned about corrosion and the weather.
Old 03-05-2006, 07:49 AM
Gold Member

Re: Left Handed Options

Frankie,

Rifle manufacturers seem to think left-handers only want blue and wood.
...not answering your question, but I have noticed that Savage do stainless 'weather warrior' left-handers.
Old 03-05-2006, 08:19 AM
Platinum Member

How about a Remington LSS (laminated, stainless steel) in left hand?

You will find loads of left hand rifles & shotguns here.
Left Hand Guns

Or, you could check out this Left Hand Clearing House.
LH Clearing House

You should have no trouble finding what you're looking for at one of these two places.
Old 03-05-2006, 09:02 AM
Bronze Member

I thought of purchasing this rifle, but I really need a composite stock. I suppose I could buy a comp stock. Is swapping the factory stock with a new composite simply a matter of removing ("unscrewing") it from one and placing it on the other or is there more to it than that? For for the newbie questions and terminology. What stock would you recommend. I've heard good things about the Mcmillan stock.
Old 03-05-2006, 10:09 AM
Silver Member

Frankie,

The rifle the Brown Dog mentioned (The Savage Weather Warrior) should certainly be put on your list of considerations. It is chambered in a wide assortment of calibers, both short and long action. You will be impressed with the weight and appearance of these rifles, too. Stainless everything, black dual pillar bedded composite stock. I doubt the Remington Custom shop could match a Savage's out-of-the-box accuracy, either.

I would bet that ol' Bill Bailey could hook you up with one with no problems [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I just added to my left-handed Savage collection by two and he made me an awesome deal!
Old 03-05-2006, 10:31 AM
Gold Member

You would still need to do a skim bed on the action and recoil lug. It is a very simple task

d-a

Oh the quit making the 700 lss in left hand last year. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 03-07-2006, 10:31 PM
Platinum Member

You can still find the left hand Rem LSS as stated by the others. It is no longer in production, but they are out there. Savage is hard to beat for accuracy in my book.
Another option is the Browning Stainless Stalker. It is offered in lots of calibers in left hand up to the 375 H&H. Accuracy is excellent, but the Browning synthetic stock shows wear easily.
I own 2 of the lefty LSS's and one lefty stainless stalker. One Savage Tactical that shoots better than I do, but it is definitely not a carry gun.
Check www.gunbroker.com also. I have found several leftys there. Good luck!

NRA Life Member