Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

leadsled help please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2013, 07:38 AM
Silver Member

Re: leadsled help please

I do have one final question. Assuming the sled isnt ruing my gun...i.e. the recoil absortion isnt as bad as it "might" be...shouldnt it provide tight groups(i.e. elimating some shooter error)? This is also assuming the ammo being shot works well with my rifle.

What I am looking for is just trying to find the best ammo my gun can shoot. THEN I will fine tune my rifle on my bipod. But as stated above if I am shooting 5 different boxes of ammo...say 5 shots of each(to try and find best grouping ammo)...thats 25 shots...my arm becomes really sore with that amount. So If I could do those 25 shots on the sled to eliminate shooter error AND save my shoulder JUST to determine the best shooting factory load in my gun then GREAT...but if the sled could be causing bad groups I.E. bouncing the rifle or something else I am not seeing then I will ditch it. P.S. a good group to me is below 1 MOA...I know you all probably look for much better than that but I am jus trying to get a decent hunting set-up out to 300 yards. Also, I understand maybe I should have gone with a 270 or whatever for less recoil but I didnt lol Maybe I will get a new rifle next year but this is what I have for this year.
P.S. Muzzle breaks are kind of frowned upon where I am due to noise and blah blah blah. I know...stupid but I have to deal with it.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:06 PM
Silver Member

Try dry firing your rifle while in the lead sled and see if your cross-hair moves from point of aim. Could be technique.

The couple of times I shot from a sled I was uncomfortable and couldn't get settled behind the gun. My technique and "feel" is much better without the sled.

I spend a lot of time dry firing in my shop at very small aiming points. Also a lot of trigger time with rimfires.

I have some rifles that like to to be held down and man-handled and others that prefer to be tickled. Lead sleds don't allow your rifle to tell you which.

All that being said, she may just not like what you're feeding her.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:00 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigeclipse View Post
I understand maybe I should have gone with a 270 or whatever for less recoil but I didnt lol Maybe I will get a new rifle next year but this is what I have for this year.

P.S. Muzzle breaks are kind of frowned upon where I am due to noise and blah blah blah. I know...stupid but I have to deal with it.
Recoil? It's not necessarily the chambering but the load and rifle combo ... .300 WSM with 165gr ??? factory ammo vs. .270 Win with 175gr Matrix VLD handload.

Do not underestimate the .270 Win, esp. when you reload, it's definitely no slouch with the right bullet, powder, and barrel combination and of course the nut behind the trigger. I'm pushing 175gr Matrix VLDs @ 2919 FPS with 57.5gr H4831SC while fire-forming to .270 AI. My goal is to 3100 FPS or near that but accuracy comes first.

Frown all they want but it's your rifle. As Jeff (BROZ) noted, an effective muzzle brake is awesome ... it not only reduces the recoil but also reduces muzzle rise ... being able to see the impact on your target is priceless.

Below is my .270 AI with JP Enterprise Beenie Cooley muzzle brake.

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.