Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

leadsled help please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2013, 11:05 AM
Platinum Member

Re: leadsled help please

My advice would be to sell the ledsled and use the money to install a good side discharge brake. Shoot prone with a good bipod and rear bag. This will insure no change in point of impact and will aid in training you to be more in tune with your rifle and equipment. I got rid of all the sleds, rests and stuff years ago. Now everything is done in the manner I shoot in the field. Even load development. I shoot better today because of it.

Not to be rude but just truthful. If you are using a sled, is for one of these reasons? 1: you are bothered by the recoil or 2: you do not trust your shooting skill to test a load. The only way to get past these is to get comfortable with your rifle. Install a brake if the recoil bothers you and practice shooting.

Jeff
Old 08-25-2013, 12:13 PM
Silver Member

Since your placing weight on the frame to deaden the recoil, in some cases the rifle and scope absorb the recoil instead of the recoil going into your shoulder for instance. The recoil has to go somewhere. I used to put weight on my sled...a 100 lbs infact. I don't do that anymore. I want the recoil to push the sled a bit thus having somewhere for the recoil to go.
Old 08-25-2013, 12:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigeclipse View Post
it really damaged your scope?!?! how can they sell things that damage scopes?some people.on here actually said the leadsled was great....now I feel like I wasted 200bucks...this is a leadsled dft by the way...
I have the older lead sled and have been using it for a while now without any problem other that poor cheek weld.

When used properly, it has it's benefits. Where problem starts is when people used them to eliminate recoil by putting excessive weight (i.e. 50+ lbs) to eliminate recoil. Well, guess what, something has to give, whatever the weakest point (stock, scope, etc ...) is will fall under Murphy's Law.

As previously noted, I used it during load development and I can transition to cleaning the barrel securely and then back to shooting.

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 08-25-2013, 12:20 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FEENIX View Post
I have the older lead sled and have been using it for a while now without any problem other that poor cheek weld.

When used properly, it has it's benefits. Where problem starts is when people used them to eliminate recoil by putting excessive weight (i.e. 50+ lbs) to eliminate recoil. Well, guess what, something has to give, whatever the weakest point (stock, scope, etc ...) is will fall under Murphy's Law.

As previously noted, I used it during load development and I can transition to cleaning the barrel securely and then back to shooting.
well I've put about 25 shots through the rifle on the sled with about 30lbs weight...it still recoil but not much. hopefully I didny ruin the rifle or scope....is there anyway to know if I hurt the rifle or scope?
Old 08-25-2013, 12:22 PM
Silver Member

Well said my friend!!
Old 08-25-2013, 01:37 PM
Silver Member

how would I know if my rifle or scope was hurt from the recoil?
Old 08-25-2013, 03:57 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigeclipse View Post
how would I know if my rifle or scope was hurt from the recoil?
Don't be too quick to assume there's something wrong/ruined already.

Per #6, esp. your FIL since he's got the model rifle. If he shoot well under 1 MOA, then it's not the rifle, ammo, or the lead sled.

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.