Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Lazzeronis

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 10:17 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Lazzeronis

Swamplord. Your discussion point about brass life has always intrigued me, as I've read a handful of excerpts such as yours. I have to say that i'm baffled, my personal experience has been much better (i'm happy to report). I have been shooting my 7.82 Patriot for years & I have yet to discard a single piece of brass. When working loads for a bullet change (I do that alot ), I utilized the same 5 pieces just to see how long they would last. I settled on a fairly warm load of RL-17 & stopped counting reloads after 6 per piece of brass.

I wouldn't think the long mags were made by a different manufacturer than the short mags? Obviously they were different lot #'s, I wonder if the M995 setup ran higher pressure than others? That would make sense to me...

John, any thoughts/experiences here? One of my out of state hunters is toying with the idea of picking up an M995 & i'd like some more info.

t

Old 12-06-2012, 07:11 PM
Silver Member

That is great advice, Lazz, for any season except the rainy season up here in the Pacific Northwest. The rainy season here lasts from mid September to mid-July. That sounds like out-of-control hyperbole, but it isn't. The sun actually came out a month or so ago, and we all went out to see what that thing was. We have plenty of fields around here since it is all farming country,, and since I have lived here my whole life, I have plenty of contacts with the fields to do as you say. The problem is that they are all under about a foot of water. Even if we could find a field where the water does not go up and down with the tides (they literally do), we would have a major problem with the Dept of Wildlife since our whole area is a swan wintering ground, and they are everywhere. You might get off a half a dozen shots before you would be signing a ticket for harassing the swans. I think our best option right now is to drive some of the hundreds of miles of logging roads until we find one with a relatively straight and level stretch, make a couple of warning signs to put up on each end before we shoot, and then go at it. It would at least be dryer, safe, and would not bother anyone unless the county has a problem. I am sure they will tell us if they do. But I appreciate your suggestion and attempt to solve our problem. I am going to go over to our old range and talk to them and see if we can't work something out. Over 20 years of doing business at their range and gunshop should account for something.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:48 AM
Gold Member

I recently purchased a Sako m995 chambered for the lazz warbird and am just getting going with it. Im a bit concerned about the brass as well. It came with about 8 once fired and 5 loaded rounds and 20 brand new. All 8 of the once fired had splits in the neck of the case. I fired 3 of the loaded and they all split as well. The cases showed no signs of higher pressure, no extractor or cratered primer. So I emailed jon asking for help and guidance and he told me to buy his $120 per box ammo. To say Im not thrilled is an understatement. Ive since asked for some load data using his lazerhead bullets and all ive gotten is to use his site data which is for nosler ballistic tips, which I know load differently...

So far im not thrilled with the results thus far. Ive wanted this rifle since they came out. I hope I get better results soon.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:09 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boman View Post
I recently purchased a Sako m995 chambered for the lazz warbird and am just getting going with it. Im a bit concerned about the brass as well. It came with about 8 once fired and 5 loaded rounds and 20 brand new. All 8 of the once fired had splits in the neck of the case. I fired 3 of the loaded and they all split as well. The cases showed no signs of higher pressure, no extractor or cratered primer. So I emailed jon asking for help and guidance and he told me to buy his $120 per box ammo. To say Im not thrilled is an understatement. Ive since asked for some load data using his lazerhead bullets and all ive gotten is to use his site data which is for nosler ballistic tips, which I know load differently...

So far im not thrilled with the results thus far. Ive wanted this rifle since they came out. I hope I get better results soon.

I have experienced this problem with Norma brass in a 6-284 years ago. It stemmed from what I believe was old & brittle brass. I switched brass & never experienced that issue again. I would suggest this, pull the bullets on your loaded ammo, decap them carefully or fire the primer w/o powder in your rifle for safety. Anneal the brass you have left & load away. I'd be willing to wager (if I was that sort of person) that your problems will be solved.

In any case, no matter what you do. DO NOT fire split neck cases in your chamber! They can & do act like a blow torch to the wall of your neck, effectively FUBAR-ing your chamber.

t

Old 12-07-2012, 10:32 PM
Gold Member

Outlaw,

Thanks for the help, I had decided to pull the bullets and start over but I will follow your advice and anneal the cases as well. I havent done it before so this should be interesting.

I wonder if we came together and did a group buy of brass from lapua or norma if theyd do it? It sounds like wr may have some interested buyers..
Old 12-09-2012, 12:06 PM
Platinum Member

Lazz brass is now made by Hornady. Quality is above that of the previous manufacturer (can't remember the name). You would have to purchase a substantial amount of brass to get a major manufacturer to re-tool to fit you needs. I wouldn't be surprised if you would have to order a couple hundred thousand pieces to pull it off.

t

Old 12-09-2012, 07:05 PM
Silver Member

Guys ,,,,,,

yes ,, the Warbird brass made by Hornady is an improvement over the previous batch ,,,

Having said that "I" am still using Warbird brass from the original 1998 batch in my personal rifle ,,,,, started with 500 cases, have shot them all at least three times ,,,,,

still have over 450 left after culling for necks way out of round and other anomalies ,,,,, I will get around to annealing the next time I load them, so the necks will be less likely to crack ,,,

"IF" you shoot the Warbird caliber, remember some important things ,,,,,

1 ,,,,, if your primer pockets are growing enough that the Fed 215 primer (only) is very loose when repriming, you load is too hot ,,,,

2 ,,,,, use RCBS spec resize dies only, so as to not overwork the case necks when resizing, the extracting the expanderball ,,,,

3 ,,,,, set the resize die down ONLY far enough to get the cases to fit back into the chamber, as any further will cause case stretching at the base on subsequent firings ,,,,,

4 ,,,,, do not turn the necks down on the cases, just cull out the ones that are more than .002-.003" out of round, using a run-out gauge ,,,,,

5 ,,,, learn how to properly anneal necks, and do this after every 3-4 firings to keep them soft and reduce splitting ,,,,,,