Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Lazzeroni warbird puzzle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2013, 08:39 AM
Silver Member

Re: Lazzeroni warbird puzzle

rcol317,,,,,,,

if he needs to contact me direct, he can use John@Lazzeroni.com ,,,,,,
Old 10-17-2013, 04:40 PM
Gold Member

John has been a great help to me with my factory Warbird. I ended up following his advice and buying a box of factory Warbird ammo, the 150gr lazerheads. They touch at 100... My rifle has a 12 twist and seems to not shoot 175gr+ bullets. But I've only used Retumbo powder do far. I'll be using RL25 and 7828 as well. Good luck with your rifle
Old 10-17-2013, 05:25 PM
Silver Member

Boman ,,,,,,,

glad you got it shooting ,,,,, please let us know anytime that we can be of assistance ,,,,,
Old 10-17-2013, 07:12 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcol317 View Post
Looking for any suggestions for what may be an issue. I've been a shooter/loader for 35 years. Went out the other day with a friend new to reloading to sight in a rifle he just acquired. It's a McMillan built Hunter Rifle on their action with McMillan stock chambered in the Lazzoroni 7.82 warbird. He bought the rifle used but looks as new, bolt face, action and chamber shows no sign of any ammo down the tube. We zero'd the rifle and shot 2 each, 5 shot group of 180 gr Berger VLD's one with 95 gr of IMR 7828 and one with 98 gr of Reloader 25. Both groups were 3" to 5" @ 100 yards. He's sick and can't figure out why it shoots so poorly. I know some rifles don't shoot VLD's but seems like still very oversized group.

I don't have a lot of experience with big cannons, I did custom build on a 300 RUM and shot 1 1/2 inch groups, smith blamed it on a bad barrel, re-barreled it (for free) with Lylja barrel and it shoots 1/2 MOA to 800 yards. Great shooter!

Any suggestions would be appreciated. We're going to give some other bullets a try. Thanks Rick
Berger doesn't make .308 180 gr VLD's to the best of my knowledge.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 10-17-2013, 07:13 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boman View Post
John has been a great help to me with my factory Warbird. I ended up following his advice and buying a box of factory Warbird ammo, the 150gr lazerheads. They touch at 100... My rifle has a 12 twist and seems to not shoot 175gr+ bullets. But I've only used Retumbo powder do far. I'll be using RL25 and 7828 as well. Good luck with your rifle
A 12" twist tube should be able to stabilize up to 190 gr VLD's

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 10-17-2013, 07:19 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
Berger doesn't make .308 180 gr VLD's to the best of my knowledge.
They don't make 180's in 30 caliber....But they do make 185 VLD's in .308 caliber....

Berger Hunting Bullets 30 Cal (308 Diameter) 185 Grain VLD Hollow

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:23 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
They don't make 180's in 30 caliber....But they do make 185 VLD's in .308 caliber....

Berger Hunting Bullets 30 Cal (308 Diameter) 185 Grain VLD Hollow
Yeah Mud, I know they make 185's. The OP said 180's.

~ John Quincy Adams