Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Lazz toting bighorn busting buddy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2006, 07:09 PM
Platinum Member

Lazz toting bighorn busting buddy

We worked on his shooting trying to find the best ( factory ) loads for his gun and at $120.00 a box for factory ammo that was not fun. We shot at lon range , developed drop charts , put them on a 3x5 card laminated and taped to his stock . Groups were lousy by the standards here but time was running out .

No way to accurize the rifle , develope a load for it in the time left and we weren't trying to . Just trying to get him deadly to 700 yds.

Well , time ran ran out and he headed west with his new Swaro LRF and his Lazz warbird . Fairly competent with both after the month of intense shooting sessions preceding the hunt.

167 yards with a 168 smk was the result . He didn't think to take a pic of the exit ( yeah , I fussed ) but he said that the exit wound was the size of both a mans fists side by side . Uphill shot ,entry just behind shoulder about halfway up and exit barely below spine ( very steep uphill shot ) . He thought it would never stop falling then finally it came to rest about 500 feet below the place it was at when it was hit .

Way to go Scott Smith !! This ram was taken out of the southern most herd of Rocky mt. bighorns in the US , hard against the Arizona border in sw New Mexico.

A good end for the both of them ( Scott and the ram ) as the ram will be appreciated by many in the years to come and because of what Scott found while hunting there the ram may very well not have made it through the winter .

Domestic sheep pnemonia had killed 5 that they found while hunting and who knows how many more will succumb to the condition .

While we all can't have a hunt like this , I'm glad for those that can.

Jim Brown [image]http://[/image]
Old 01-21-2006, 07:18 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Lazz toting bighorn busting buddy

Jimm:

Great looking ram and give my congratulations to Scott. That's a trophy of a lifetime. It's good to know he was prepared for shots at longer ranges and that he had put in a lot of range time. But when presented with a shot at a trophy animal like that, you do as he did and take it, no matter what the range is.

Sounds like another SMK that "failed" [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Again, congratulations Scott!!

Sorry Roy.........Next time I'll wait till you're done [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-21-2006, 07:18 PM
Platinum Member

May I be the first to congradulate you. If I'm typing fast enough.

Good goin.

Someone otta owe someone somethin' [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Darn, wasn't fast enough. Beat out by a 7mm. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

So this is why you've been so quiet [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

But I notice I'm faster on the trigger than a Ruger #1 [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-21-2006, 07:19 PM
Platinum Member

Really a regal warrior of a ram. I like the battered and scarred up horns better than some polished up full set.

It was good of you to help the guy get prepared for a long shot even if it was close range in the end.
Old 01-21-2006, 07:44 PM
Platinum Member

WOW---a TROPHY of a Lifetime!!!!!!!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-21-2006, 08:26 PM
Bronze Member

Congrats on a Trophy of a Lifetime [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

HBB
Old 01-21-2006, 09:08 PM
Bronze Member

Congrats to both of you! It speaks volumes for a person; when they go out of their way to help a friend prepare for a hunt. A lot of time & work... well ok, some FUN too! Great job!