Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Largest Non-Typical Shot in Alberta 2005

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2006, 01:31 PM
SPONSOR

Re: Largest Non-Typical Shot in Alberta 2005

[ QUOTE ]
That is why the old optical rangefinders that were stadii inside the scope and relied on "average" body size were so difficult to use. A person would see a huge rack and believe there was a huge body that went with it or vice versa. Laser rangefinder technology is a huge advancement over the "good ole days".

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure it wouldn't matter what kind of rangefinder I was using. I would be shaking too bad for either of them to work!!!

That is one helluva deer.
Old 04-26-2006, 01:38 PM
Bronze Member

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
That is why the old optical rangefinders that were stadii inside the scope and relied on "average" body size were so difficult to use. A person would see a huge rack and believe there was a huge body that went with it or vice versa. Laser rangefinder technology is a huge advancement over the "good ole days".

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure it wouldn't matter what kind of rangefinder I was using. I would be shaking too bad for either of them to work!!!

That is one helluva deer.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear ya there...pull the trigger
Old 04-26-2006, 02:08 PM
Platinum Member

The story goes,

He was sitting in a $2 plastic Kmart lawn chair next to a big tree looking down a two track (woods on one side large field on the other). Nappy time goes here [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]. Woke up around 4:00, scanned field, waited, looked again [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img](Keep in mind he's prepared to shoot 600 yard or so). He sees this thing 200 yards away, grabbed his binos [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] then realized how foolish this could have been (should have just grabbed the rifle). The deer was walking down the two track directly at him. He carefully raised his rifle, rested his elbow on the arm of the chair (left side), before nursing the safety off he calmly squeezed the trigger and let off TWICE. He then gingerly fingered the safety off and said to himself "all I need you to do is turn a little bit" deer turned, stopped and WHACK!! Down he went. He then walked up to the deer counted 16 points on one side and started shaking profusely. After counting the one side he left his rifle with the deer and went back to sit down. Three different guides showed up and were equally as excited. I don't think he slept for 3 days.

On a side note there were two other hunters that had hunted the same spot for two days. Not having seen any deer they were discouraged and asked to be placed somewhere else. My father, quick to pipe up and say "I'll go hunt there".

And now he has a full body mount
Old 04-26-2006, 03:25 PM
Silver Member

Simply a beautiful animal!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Did anyone check his teeth to find out his age? Looks like He "needed" to be harvested. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-27-2006, 05:12 AM
Platinum Member

Only 4 1/2
Old 04-27-2006, 02:20 PM
Gold Member

What a beautiful buck. That buck is what we dream about, only the ones we dream about are smaller!

Congratulations.

JD338
Old 04-28-2006, 07:49 PM
Silver Member

This is why I go back every year. I've taken some good ones but nothing like this. Awesome trophy.