Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Ladder test - assistance interpreting results

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2010, 11:51 AM
Miller Outdoors

Ladder test - assistance interpreting results

Could use some help from those who have more experience in these ladder tests than I have.

This morning I shot 2 ladders.

The first (left side of notebook sheet below) were 165 grain Gamekings using Varget. 17 shots starting with 43.0 grains spaced .2 grains apart up to 46.2 grains.

The second (right side of notebook sheet below) were 180 grain Gamekings using Varget. 13 shots starting with 43.0 grains spaced .2 grains apart up to 45.4 grains.

Wind was calm up until the 6th shot on the second ladder, then it started to get breezy, but I was selective in shooting while calmest. Shots were 4 to 8 minutes apart to allow barrel cooling. Shot 2 factory fowlers before first ladder. Temp about 70 and sunny. About 1,100 feet above sea level. The pinkish squares are 1 inch. Savage .308 22" barrel 1:10 twist shooting off lead sled. .02" off lands.

This is my notebook with the loads and chrony numbers.

This is the 165 grain ladder:

This is the 180 grain ladder:

What would you be looking to do next? I imagine I want to load up a few 3 shot groups and see what they look like, but what grains?

Last edited by Miller Outdoors; 05-18-2010 at 11:55 AM.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:25 PM
Gold Member

Re: Ladder test - assistance interpreting results

Not to knock your test but all it shows is a one shot velocity which is kind of useless. Again don't take any offence to it. But you should do 3-5 shot groups all at same load. Measuring velocity for every round fired. Then when you have went up to the max load. You then take the and see what the extream spread in velocity per each group shot. Then you have to decide if the most acurate load has a good velocity spread. Or pick the one you think averages best of both
Old 05-18-2010, 09:54 PM
Silver Member

I agree with midwest hunter, You should shot 3 shot groups for ladder tests. I only fire one shot when I'm looking for pressure signs, so I fire one, and climb until I get pressure signs then back down .3 from there and start a group ladder .2 apart going down, looking for nodes.

That said, you and your gun can shoot. Those where a 13 shot group and a 17 shot group, with each shot being a different powder charge and they looked to be just a little over an MOA! That's pretty impressive.

I don't think 2 fouler is enough. I've got several guns that don't settle down until the 5 th shot. Shoot 4 foulers if you are seriously testing.

I think you are going to be very happy with the way this turns out. Make sure you update this post, Id like to know how the next set goes.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:41 PM
Silver Member

I don't agree with your other two responders.
I always do ladder testing before loading up three round groups loads.
14, 15, and 16 on the left side have promise in my opinion. Pick a load in the middle and load up three and see what she does. I would bet with a little seating depth changes that load will shoot.
7, 8, and 9 on the right side shoot pretty well if the wind was an issue.
The way I do it is to look at the vertical and if it is reasonable you can tighten it up with seating depth changes.
I am not a bench rest shooter but one of the guys I shoot with occasionally is and has several national records to his credit. I have worked with him to refine my load workup skills.
Let us know how it goes with a few group pictures, it helps us all learn.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:50 PM
Gold Member

With the 165gr, I would try loading 3 or so cartridges with 44.1gr to test after fouling shots... Also try 3 or so cartridges loaded at 45.7.

With the 180s I would try loading 3 or so cartridges at 43gr, (I just like those two shots,) then 3 or so cartridges at 44.5gr.

Here is a link for the people that are unsure as to what a ladder test is.

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."-- Samuel Adams
Old 05-20-2010, 05:46 AM
Miller Outdoors

Thanks for the replies. Over the next few days I'm going to load up and fire some 4 shot groups and will post some photos when done.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:08 AM
Gold Member

For the 165gr work around the 45.8 load.

For the 180gr work around the 3and 4 load and then the 10and 11load

the reason i suggest these is because they show good vertical
with better velocity than the 1and 2 load which also looks good