Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics


Reply

Kestrel 4500 Atrag?

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #50  
Old 10-01-2012, 10:01 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: north platte ne
Posts: 387
Re: Kestrel 4500 Atrag?

Wow i been wanting one real bad .. but if i won' t be able to put my 338 and 6mm cm data into it then it wont work for me .. anyone else having problims putting there guns and data for the loads into this kestrel.
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 10-02-2012, 05:51 AM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Terre Haute In.
Posts: 696
Re: Kestrel 4500 Atrag?

I havn't seen an mention of this, so I am assumeing you still need an ADI, or cosine and have the ability to in put angle to shot and the unit will give the shoot to range? That being said would a person be better off going with Gunworks G7 range finder. The reason I am asking I am about to purchase a leica 1600B at $800. and then another $600 for the Kestrel, for a total of $1400. you can spend another $200 and get a unit that will pretty much do it all and have even less to carry around every time you go shot or hunt. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 10-02-2012, 07:18 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: North TX
Posts: 11
Re: Kestrel 4500 Atrag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyatnop View Post
Wow i been wanting one real bad .. but if i won' t be able to put my 338 and 6mm cm data into it then it wont work for me .. anyone else having problims putting there guns and data for the loads into this kestrel.
You can manually add a new gun and its data directly in the Kestrel, and that works just fine. I'm just having issues downloading new data from a separate file on my PC.
__________________
Regards,

TXBodean
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 10-02-2012, 10:25 AM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 92
Re: Kestrel 4500 Atrag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick523 View Post
I havn't seen an mention of this, so I am assumeing you still need an ADI, or cosine and have the ability to in put angle to shot and the unit will give the shoot to range? That being said would a person be better off going with Gunworks G7 range finder. The reason I am asking I am about to purchase a leica 1600B at $800. and then another $600 for the Kestrel, for a total of $1400. you can spend another $200 and get a unit that will pretty much do it all and have even less to carry around every time you go shot or hunt. Any thoughts?

hmmm well, if you want that many gizmos...just put Google Earth into your iPhone...GPS your location...and the target location....with a decent Ballistics app in the iPhone..you should be GTG...and with a cheapo Leupold range finder...you can get your angle of declination/inclination...


but that would need unlimited cell service....

still, too many gizmo's for me...

gonna try the Oregon Scientific weather doohickey paired with a simple excel spreadsheet in my "work" crackberry...total inventment is about $40...still has "2" gizmos...but at least I am only into the setup 40 bucks...

My next idea is to work on a "rule of thumb" regarding air temp and elevation (need to find a bourdon altimiter) ...that way I can just run the calc in my head referenced to a printed standard...using my "on-board" gizmo would suit me best...
__________________
Scope It, DOPE it, Click it, Smoke It!!
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 10-02-2012, 10:43 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: north platte ne
Posts: 387
Re: Kestrel 4500 Atrag?

If i can put my own guns into it. Iam gona order it. I allready have the lica 1600 it was a b day gift. Yea its a lot of stuff to carry around but if iam shooting my own targets at long range no problim. and if i walk into a good spot and set up i might spend the better part of the day there and never move.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 10-03-2012, 07:43 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: North TX
Posts: 11
Re: Kestrel 4500 Atrag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyatnop View Post
If i can put my own guns into it. Iam gona order it. I allready have the lica 1600 it was a b day gift. Yea its a lot of stuff to carry around but if iam shooting my own targets at long range no problim. and if i walk into a good spot and set up i might spend the better part of the day there and never move.
You will be pleased I think. It's kinda funny but I primarily shoot a 6.5 CM and a .338 LM as well as use the Leica 1600. Great minds think alike I guess.
__________________
Regards,

TXBodean
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 10-03-2012, 01:32 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: north platte ne
Posts: 387
Re: Kestrel 4500 Atrag?

6.5 cm sounds cool. Iam goana hava do some reasearch and check that calibrr out ..thanks again.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: Kestrel 4500 Atrag?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WTS- NEW Kestrel 4500 Weather Tracker Ring Other Stuff For Sale 2 08-19-2011 07:25 PM
Kestrel 4500 Horus? mmmooretx Long Range Hunting & Shooting 0 07-21-2011 02:25 PM
Kestrel 4500 W/Bluetooth & LB3.0 SHRTSHTR Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics 0 06-21-2011 09:49 AM
Kestrel 4500 338reezens Other Stuff For Sale 1 09-30-2010 07:38 AM
Kestrel 4500 NV New In Box Price Drop GO-FASTER Other Stuff For Sale 1 08-04-2009 08:03 PM

Current Poll
Do You Shoot Rifle Competition?
YES - 33.48%
766 Votes
NO - 66.52%
1,522 Vote
Total Votes: 2,288
You may not vote on this poll.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC