Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Kenton Industries Custom Turrets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2010, 09:58 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Kenton Industries Custom Turrets

one of the problems with doing a custom turret is turrets don't always move the erector the amount they should. good scopes yes, they probably do. if i were gonna go the custom turret route, i would shoot at the distances using a target that was tall enough to measure the bullet drop without turning the turrets. this will give you the exact moa drop at said distance. then shoot 2 groups using at least 3 rotations of the verticle turret and measure exactly how much the scope moves. now you have accurate information to go on.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:50 AM
Silver Member

I like to tinker with different bullet/load combos so a set turret does not work for me. I still use Kenton turrets but I use the three tier MOA knob for elevation and a single for windage. I carry a PDA and a Kestrel for conditions and two drop/data cards as backup.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davewilson View Post
one of the problems with doing a custom turret is turrets don't always move the erector the amount they should. good scopes yes, they probably do. if i were gonna go the custom turret route, i would shoot at the distances using a target that was tall enough to measure the bullet drop without turning the turrets. this will give you the exact moa drop at said distance. then shoot 2 groups using at least 3 rotations of the verticle turret and measure exactly how much the scope moves. now you have accurate information to go on.
Dave,

So what you are saying is that a .25MOA turret may not move the reticle .25 but maybe .20 or .3 (as an example) So then the number of MOA will be off when Kenton assumes it moves .25 correct?

I was trying to explain this to a guy and just couldn't get him to believe that scopes can be off this way. I have seen some pretty nice scopes not track correctly in this regard.

I have always wondered why turret makers don't just ask for actual turret change per click.

You can even figure this out without firing your gun although I would guess your method may be more accurate. I have always just set up my scope at a specified distance, i.e. 10 yards or 25 yards, and moved my turret the number of clicks necessary to move it one inch. With a white piece of paper with an exact one inch grid you can very precisely determine your click value by extrapolating the numbers out. You just need a solid type rest to hold you gun or scope still while adjusting the turret.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:09 PM
Platinum Member

I got mine from Vortex Optics. I gave them the elevation above sea level, temp., my zero of 200 yds, 8.5" drop at 300 yds & 21.5" drop at 400 yds. They made the velocity and other things match up to my data and sent me the custom turret a week later. I put it on my new Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50mm PST MOA FFP scope.

After sighting it in at 200 yds. I moved to 400 yds and turned the turret to 4 for 400 yds and shot 3 times. It was dead nuts on which amazed me. I then went to Wyoming and shot at a range from 200 yds all the way out to 1,200 yards and the turret was dead nuts on at every distance.

I do not know who made the turret for Vortex, but who ever did know what they are doing.

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=574886

joseoh
Old 10-15-2010, 03:58 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph View Post
I got mine from Vortex Optics. I gave them the elevation above sea level, temp., my zero of 200 yds, 8.5" drop at 300 yds & 21.5" drop at 400 yds. They made the velocity and other things match up to my data and sent me the custom turret a week later. I put it on my new Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50mm PST MOA FFP scope.

After sighting it in at 200 yds. I moved to 400 yds and turned the turret to 4 for 400 yds and shot 3 times. It was dead nuts on which amazed me. I then went to Wyoming and shot at a range from 200 yds all the way out to 1,200 yards and the turret was dead nuts on at every distance.

I do not know who made the turret for Vortex, but who ever did know what they are doing.

Field test: Vortex Viper 6-24x50mm PST MOA FFP scope. - Georgia Outdoor News Forum

joseoh
The return address on my Vortex Turrets said Gunwerks.
Old 10-15-2010, 06:46 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph View Post

Field test: Vortex Viper 6-24x50mm PST MOA FFP scope. - Georgia Outdoor News Forum

joseoh

What is REALLY amazing is that you went to a different state which would most likely be different elevation, temp etc. and it was dead on?You must have had some compensating conditions. With set turrets you still have to make adjustments for each field condition because they are adjusted to a given set of conditions only......Rich
Old 10-16-2010, 12:25 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkaholic View Post
What is REALLY amazing is that you went to a different state which would most likely be different elevation, temp etc. and it was dead on?You must have had some compensating conditions. With set turrets you still have to make adjustments for each field condition because they are adjusted to a given set of conditions only......Rich
That is what everyone tells me, but I originally sighted in at 200 yds. at the elevation here which is about 800 feet. When I sighted in in Wyoming at an elevation of about 4,000 feet I could not tell the difference in my zero at 200 yards. Then when I went to the 2,000 yd range. Out there I was able to hit the gongs by turning the turret to the yardage and hit the gongs all the way out to 1,200 yards.

Now let me make it clear that I just didn't lay down and hit the targets one after the other. The two guys in the picture were calling the wind for me and some times I would hit, but most of the time I did not. The wind was the determining factor not the elevation of the turret. That was perfectly clear to all that was there. They had a 3" gong at 700 yds that I hit 3 out of 5 shots. My rifle was shooting so good with the Viper PST that they all retired their rifles and only shot mine so they could hit the gongs too.
and they were shooting monster calibers.

joseph