Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Kenton Industries Custom Turrets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2010, 08:56 PM
Gold Member

Re: Kenton Industries Custom Turrets

I just ordered one from them 3 days ago for a leupold and I used the method elkaholic is talking about. I zeroed my gun at 100 and went to 917yards and gave them how many minutes elavation and the conditions and they can build it off that info. Im pretty confident on the info I gave them because Iv shot this same distance and setup probably ten different times and with a 20 degree difference the come up has always been the same plus or minus one click.

Last edited by ovastafford; 09-06-2010 at 09:01 PM.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:32 AM
Silver Member

Ovastafford, Thanks for responding to my post. I am anxious to hear about your field experience once you try your new turrets. Keep us posted.

Firecat
Old 09-08-2010, 02:54 PM
Platinum Member

If you use that method you can't go wrong providing you adjust for field conditions...Rich
Old 10-12-2010, 09:02 PM
Gold Member

I received my turret in the mail two Fridays ago. I put it on my scope and zeroed my scope at 100 yards and then went to the exact target that I developed my data for in almost the same conditions. Turned the knob to 920 for 917 yards and shot. The bullet landed around 3 moa low. I shot again and again and shot a group around 1 moa all around 3 moa low........???? So then I counted the clicks it took me to get 920 on the knob compared to the 24.5moa I gave them for the knob. According to the knob it only takes me 19.0 moa to get to that range? I then counted clicks up to there to get 24.5 moa and hit dead center. So the knob is off......

I called kenton industries and explained to them my dilemma and they basically told me that the data I gave them must be off. They also said that they normally dont do knobs just off of one set of yardage data. I then asked him how they figured I was 3.5 moa difference from the knob to the data set and he said the conditions i had my knob made for make that much difference. I shot the data at 3,000 65F and had them make the turret for 5,500ft and 45degrees. I know there isnt 3.5 moa difference because I shot the gun in those conditions and was no more than 1 or 2 clicks off.

I then kindly asked if there was any way to fix this problem and was told to zero my knob at 917yards and then just go with that. I then asked " wont all the other yardages be off?" He replied " yeah but just a little."

To me this is unacceptable for long range hunting. When I spent $110 dollars on a target knob I expected it to be dead on and its not. I cant go out and shoot at game with a gun that is "pretty close" at long range, its not fair to the game. I was also very disappointed by the way I was treated. The gentlemen I spoke with was very condescending and talked to me like I didn't know what I was talking about. I'm not trying to bash someone on this forum but I am just giving you my personal experience with them. I personally will never give them my business again or send anyone their way. Anyone who does use them good luck and I hope your experience is better than mine.

Last edited by ovastafford; 10-12-2010 at 09:06 PM.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:15 PM
Platinum Member

Just curious why a custom knob is needed for a one bullet/one gun trajectory, v. installing a plain old knob adjustment and figuring out your own drop chart, taping it to the side of the stock, and referencing it for dial up.

Austin's post is just one more reason I have NOT ordered any custom knobs for any rifle to date because I would be afraid this would happen to me.

So, I'm starting to lean more towards figuring out drop in inches per yardage to target, and calculate come ups, then just tape the sucker to my stock and leave it at that. After a short time, you can memorize your 100 yard come ups I would think, and do a quick reference for anything in between. Especially with a 200 yard zero, I would think this would be ok

Yet, I still like the idea of a knob with all the ACCURATE data on it and just giving a quick spin like they do with Greybull and Huskemaw.

Decisions....

Last edited by Derek M.; 10-12-2010 at 09:18 PM.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:42 PM
Gold Member

I purchased a set of knobs for a 300 RUM Improved/210 VLD combo.

With a 300 yard zero, 4000'PA, 60 deg temp, it took 14.7 MOA to be zero'd at 1000 yards.

Filled out the custom knob order form, received my knobs...they worked flawlessly for me.

I don't use 100 yard zeros, as 200 and 300 yard zeros have worked better for me when computing drop data at distance.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:42 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovastafford View Post
I received my turret in the mail two Fridays ago. I put it on my scope and zeroed my scope at 100 yards and then went to the exact target that I developed my data for in almost the same conditions. Turned the knob to 920 for 917 yards and shot. The bullet landed around 3 moa low. I shot again and again and shot a group around 1 moa all around 3 moa low........???? So then I counted the clicks it took me to get 920 on the knob compared to the 24.5moa I gave them for the knob. According to the knob it only takes me 19.0 moa to get to that range? I then counted clicks up to there to get 24.5 moa and hit dead center. So the knob is off......

I called kenton industries and explained to them my dilemma and they basically told me that the data I gave them must be off. They also said that they normally dont do knobs just off of one set of yardage data. I then asked him how they figured I was 3.5 moa difference from the knob to the data set and he said the conditions i had my knob made for make that much difference. I shot the data at 3,000 65F and had them make the turret for 5,500ft and 45degrees. I know there isnt 3.5 moa difference because I shot the gun in those conditions and was no more than 1 or 2 clicks off.

I then kindly asked if there was any way to fix this problem and was told to zero my knob at 917yards and then just go with that. I then asked " wont all the other yardages be off?" He replied " yeah but just a little."

To me this is unacceptable for long range hunting. When I spent $110 dollars on a target knob I expected it to be dead on and its not. I cant go out and shoot at game with a gun that is "pretty close" at long range, its not fair to the game. I was also very disappointed by the way I was treated. The gentlemen I spoke with was very condescending and talked to me like I didn't know what I was talking about. I'm not trying to bash someone on this forum but I am just giving you my personal experience with them. I personally will never give them my business again or send anyone their way. Anyone who does use them good luck and I hope your experience is better than mine.
I just ran the numbers using a .570 b.c. and 3000 fps and came up with 1/2 min less at 920 yds. I would be a little ticked as well........Rich