Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Kenton Industries Custom Turrets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2010, 12:12 PM
Silver Member

Kenton Industries Custom Turrets

Have any of you used the Custom Turrets made by Kenton Industries? If so what scope did you use them on and what was your experience? The concept seems to intriguing to me. With both Best of the west and Grey Bull Precision offering these scopes Which are more than likely worth what they are asking for them considering what you get. I thought I would research all options a bit. Thanks
Old 05-27-2010, 01:45 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Kenton Industries Custom Turrets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firecat View Post
Have any of you used the Custom Turrets made by Kenton Industries? If so what scope did you use them on and what was your experience? The concept seems to intriguing to me. With both Best of the west and Grey Bull Precision offering these scopes Which are more than likely worth what they are asking for them considering what you get. I thought I would research all options a bit. Thanks
I have Kenton turrets on my Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50. They work perfectly as long as you give them good data. The best approach is to carefully test your load, rifle and scope at the longest ranges you will shoot and give them the data. You can't go wrong if you do this since they are merely scribing the numbers into the turrets that YOU provided. If you get a canned version from Kenton, you are trusting someone elses data to work perfectly in your rifle. (bullet manufacturer, scope manufacturer and even individual rifle differences. Once you get the setup, be sure to chronograph your loads carefully and compensate for all the conditions involved in the field. There is nothing magic about the scopes offered from the above mentioned in your post, they just do the work for you. The nice thing about Kenton is the fact that you can use the scope of your choice as long as they have compatible turrets. I like the Zeiss because they have 18 minutes of adjustment per rotation and a good deal of vertical adjustment, besides being a quality scope......Rich
Old 05-27-2010, 09:25 PM
Silver Member

I have one on a BSA for my 22-250 and its works fine as long as I shoot around the same temp, altitude, bp as the turret is made for, its to many varibles for me and dont want 4 or 4 of them to change for the conditions, now I am going to the calc on a pda and doing moa corrections, much more accurate to me, the turrents are just like the ballistic reticles, they work well for the conditions they are calibrated for
Old 05-28-2010, 07:45 AM
PUBLISHER

I have had Kenton turret cap on a Nightforce scope for 5 (?) years and really like it.

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 05-28-2010, 07:59 AM
Silver Member

I have ordered two of them. One for a burris, and one for a Leupold VXIII. I like them, and typically hunt in the same conditions all of the time. I also agree with elkaholic that YOU must provide them the data. I always use the form where I place the yardage and moa mark. I also use a PDA, and Kestral. If I have time, I will plug everything in, and get an actual wind reading, and set both dials. It seems that out to about 750-800 yards the elevation is almost always within 1 click. Beyond about 750, I would be much more inclined to use the PDA for every shot. I had the last turret made with the actual MOA marks at the bottom of the turret, and the next two rows in yardages. Works well for me, and I can take the easy way out, or us the pda/moa marks if I want.

aroshtr
Old 09-06-2010, 04:04 PM
Silver Member

Hi everyone, just reading this post and it brings up a question about the info being submitted to Kenton Ind.

May seem like a stupid question but....

Do you just provide the major yardage increments ie 100, 200, 300, 400, 500 etc and they calculate the inbetween hash marks

Or do you have to provide EVERY increment marked on the turret ie 100, 125, 150, 175, 200, 225, 250. If the turret you select indeed has those hash marks on it?

I just got my Zeiss 6.5-20x50 and am in the process of deciding on one of two loads for my rifle and compiling the required information to get a turret made up.

Thanks for any assistance

Brambles
Old 09-06-2010, 06:19 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brambles View Post
Hi everyone, just reading this post and it brings up a question about the info being submitted to Kenton Ind.

May seem like a stupid question but....

Do you just provide the major yardage increments ie 100, 200, 300, 400, 500 etc and they calculate the inbetween hash marks

Or do you have to provide EVERY increment marked on the turret ie 100, 125, 150, 175, 200, 225, 250. If the turret you select indeed has those hash marks on it?

I just got my Zeiss 6.5-20x50 and am in the process of deciding on one of two loads for my rifle and compiling the required information to get a turret made up.

Thanks for any assistance

Brambles
I would focus on the farthest range you are going to shoot and of course your zero range. It is easier for them to project a good curve if you shoot at max range. Obviously, the more intermittent range data the better. You will also need an accurate MV and all the weather and altitude data you can supply on the day you test........Rich