Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

keep or return the vortex?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2012, 01:50 PM
Platinum Member

Re: keep or return the vortex?

I guess a way to tell how well a scope is tracking for me is to shoot one (100yds), run the scope up 4 moa - shoot, right 4 moa - shoot, down 4 moa - shoot, the left 4 moa - shoot ! You Should come back to where you started with a nice box! Just my 2 cents! (I just used 4 moa as an example)

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...4-build-83765/ - Build Thread
http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...-284-a-124876/ - Gun Pictures/Ongoing Shooting Thread
Old 02-17-2012, 04:07 PM
Silver Member

It can be a little tricky to do, but take some freezer paper and draw 40 or 50 (or however many you want) horizontal lines precisely 1MOA apart with a sharpie. This is assuming your scope is in 1/4moa clicks and not 1/4 inch clicks. Write your MOA value next to each line. This will make your lines right at 1 and 3/64" apart, good luck with this, like I said, tricky. Staple it up on plywood or equivalent at exactly 100 yards. You'll need to be able to keep your rifle extremely still as you start with your reticle on the top line you've drawn. Start dialing up your reticle comparing what your turret is telling you compared to where your reticle is on the paper. A real good weighted gun vise works best for this, the gun can't move. This will give you a real good idea if your scope is tracking right without shooting a bunch of ammunition.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:15 PM
Platinum Member

I only know a couple people that run a Viper, they seem to be a really good scope for the money. I have the Weaver built Nitrex TRII ( same scope as the Super Slam) and it too is a good scope. Nice glass, turrets/ adjustments are spot on, and it feels like it's built like a tank. You won't go wrong with either.
Just my opinion but I if you mount it and use it then it's used goods. You don't have to mount it to see if whether you like it or not. The only thing I can think of that mounting it to check it out is to see how it handles recoil.

The people trying to say the 2nd Amendment is outdated are probably the same folks that would say the same thing about the Bible.