Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

keep or return the vortex?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2012, 07:26 PM
Silver Member

keep or return the vortex?

I just bought a Vortex viper 6.5-20x50 with mil dot. I was trying to decide between it and a Weaver Super Slam in 3.5-15x42 ebx reticle.
Its going on a winchester m70 extreme sporter 270wsm

I wanted a lower power magnification scope for this , the 3.5-15 was what i was looking for with a 40-44 objective to keep it low on the rifle.

The Vortex is nice though, its lighter (but lighter just feels cheaper to me when it comes to scopes) than the SS but one thing that keeps bugging me is that its made in the Philippines but the Weaver is made in Japan
The Weaver SS feel so much more durable. The Vortex is real light and feels kinda cheap to me.
I bought the Vortex because of all the reviews instead of going with my gut with the super slam.
Should I just shut up and not worry about it and use the vortex, or return it and get the Weaver super slam? I do like the viper though dont get me wrong, I just wish it had a lower magnification level and was made in Japan...I know they make them in lower magnification levels but the store doesnt have them and I cant order one online, I can only pay cash locally right now

Old 02-16-2012, 08:11 PM
Gold Member

Re: keep or return the vortex?

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmay View Post
I just bought a Vortex viper 6.5-20x50 with mil dot. I was trying to decide between it and a Weaver Super Slam in 3.5-15x42 ebx reticle.
Its going on a winchester m70 extreme sporter 270wsm

I wanted a lower power magnification scope for this , the 3.5-15 was what i was looking for with a 40-44 objective to keep it low on the rifle.

The Vortex is nice though, its lighter (but lighter just feels cheaper to me when it comes to scopes) than the SS but one thing that keeps bugging me is that its made in the Philippines but the Weaver is made in Japan
The Weaver SS feel so much more durable. The Vortex is real light and feels kinda cheap to me.
I bought the Vortex because of all the reviews instead of going with my gut with the super slam.
Should I just shut up and not worry about it and use the vortex, or return it and get the Weaver super slam? I do like the viper though dont get me wrong, I just wish it had a lower magnification level and was made in Japan...I know they make them in lower magnification levels but the store doesnt have them and I cant order one online, I can only pay cash locally right now
This one's up to you. I'm not sure about the Super Slam. I've never been around one. I do have one of the Vipers and I like it. It's a good scope for what I use it for. Where did you get it? Cameraland is taking orders the plex version of the Vortex Viper PA for $279.00
Old 02-16-2012, 08:13 PM
Platinum Member

i owned 2 of the Vipers and wasn't very impressed with either. the reason i had 2 was because i sent the first back because it didn't repeat or move the correct amount. both scopes repeated poorly and both moved the POI about 10% more than it was supposed to. they let me trade the second in on a 4-16 HS model and couldn't be happier. it repeats like it has an NF on the side and generally speaking seems to be a great scope. i'm just not very impressed with the regular Vipers. i would give their customer service an A+ though!
Old 02-16-2012, 09:04 PM
Platinum Member

Return the one you presently have.

Shop for the Weaver online and then give your CASH to someone with a credit card and have them order it for you...
Old 02-17-2012, 07:51 AM
Gold Member

I have found that regardless of how well or poorly made a piece of equipment is, if you don't have confidence in it - it will negatively effect your accuracy. So much of shooting is a mind game. If you can't trust the scope, you probably won't have the required confidence to hit long range targets.

Second thought: with scopes, lightweight does not necessarily translate into cheap. Leupold makes a great lightweight scope, but nobody calls them cheap.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:35 AM
Platinum Member

I've had a viper for 2yrs. No problems with zero or adjustments. I am very confident in my scope. Like someone else said though, its up to you.
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 02-17-2012, 01:42 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liltank View Post
I've had a viper for 2yrs. No problems with zero or adjustments. I am very confident in my scope. Like someone else said though, its up to you.
I mounted it and will be taking it out tomorrow. If it tracks well Im going to keep it.
I feel how well a scope tracks through the whole range of adjustment and how well the point of impact stays the same through the magnification range is far more important than clarity. To be honest I cant tell all that much difference in clarity between a whole lot of scopes. Id much rather pay for durability and repeatabilty than clarity. I think people tend to put way too much emphasis on how clear a scope is rather than more important things.
I think it should go in order of durability, tracking, repeatability, then clarity IMO.

Ive read that the weavers have been very well at these functions and are built very solid.
But if the Viper passes the test Ill keep it. Ive now fallen for the scope bug so Im sure Ill find a reason to buy more