Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Karsten / Kydex cheek piece

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2013, 10:04 PM
Silver Member

Karsten / Kydex cheek piece

Who on here has one, and likes it? I found one on Ebay, and was looking to put it on my A5.
Thanks.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:00 AM
Gold Member

Re: Karsten / Kydex cheek piece

I have a Karsten cheek piece on a 6.5-284 that I am still on the fence about. I am a small person so an adjustable cheek piece is almost a must for me to get a good cheek weld. The Karsten one is very wide and kinda makes it hard to get in line with the scope. On another LRG I have I made my own cheek piece with schedule 40 PVC pipe and a heat gun. And I actually like it much better. I formed it so that when I have a good weld my head is straight up and down and perfectly aligned with the scope. It wa easy to do and only took 30 minutes to make. After I had it formed the way I wanted I sanded it and painted it with Alumahyde II. It looks great. I'll put up a pic ASAP.

If you have a heat gun already you can make one of these for less than $10. You can make it to fit you also. You could probably use an oven to heat it to pliable. Might just take longer. I don't know how to post a link here yet but let me know if you are interested in this technique and ill put up some pics of how I did it. Took progress pics along the way
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Karsten / Kydex cheek piece-p1010713.jpg   Karsten / Kydex cheek piece-p1010714.jpg  

Old 02-24-2013, 07:18 AM
Silver Member

the whole width thing is my issue. i shouldered one of those savage 338s with the saddle cheek and it pushed my face so far off the bore. i didnt know if the karsten would be any different but it doesnt sound like it. I may just do the ol' foam risers and my stock pack.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:21 AM
Gold Member

Just FYI, I like the one I made myself sooo much better than the Karsten one that I'm probably going to replace the Karsten one with another home made one. I just feel like the Karsten is so wide that my head is tilted sideways to get my eye to the scope and I like my head level. The Savage LRH uses a Karsten cheek piece.

Hope this helps. Drive tacks
SM
Old 02-24-2013, 09:05 PM

I have two karstens on different rifles and love them. They do the job they are supposed to do. I put both of mine in boiling water to soften up then molded them to the stocks. A custom fit in 3 minutes
Old 02-24-2013, 10:38 PM
Platinum Member

I like mine as well. My son and I both shoot the rifle it's on (Savage) and I marked with paint marker my preferred position and his. That way we can adjust the cheek for each of us.

I'm a fairly good sized person so I could see where a smaller person migh have an issue.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:03 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb7mm View Post
I have two karstens on different rifles and love them. They do the job they are supposed to do. I put both of mine in boiling water to soften up then molded them to the stocks. A custom fit in 3 minutes
I didn't know you can mold them. Maybe I'll try that before making my own