Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Just what is the definition of long range shooting....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2006, 10:24 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Just what is the definition of long range shooting....

One of the posts that has appearantly been haulted by the moderators and probably for good reason posed this question somewhere in the mess of posts. Its a good question and one that Shawn and I talked about a couple times while hunting last week.

It is my opinion that there is no yardage that tells you when you leave medium range shooting and get into "long range" shooting.

First off there are several factors. One being what your shooting at. Big game will be limited much more then varmints simply because we respect the animals we are hunting.

The individual is also a huge determining factor in what is true "long range" hunting. One can have all the techical equipment out there and not be able to shoot!!!

Finally, and most importantly, shooting conditions make the largest determining factor as to what is "long Range" hunting.

Personally, in good shooting conditions, anything over 600 yards on big game is in my opinion Long Range hunting. From there out its just gets to be "Longer, Long range hunting".

In windy conditions, 10-15 mph 400 yards is a long range shot. In really windy conditions, +20 mph, personally I feel 300 yards would be about my limit and a 300 yard shot in +20 mph winds would be considered LR in my opinion.

Now for varmints. I do not consider anything less then around 1/2 mile long range for this hunting. This is based on my ethical standpoint more then anything. This is a totally different game then big game hunting. I was quoted as stating that I do not shoot at chucks any closer then 800 yards.

That is true but that is because the population of chucks in the area we hunt is relatively low and if we shot them at closer ranges we would wipe out the population easily in a summer. That was not my definition of LR hunting, just what we do to make sure our killto shot percentages are low enough to sustain a healty chuck population.

Simply put, you can not, in my opinion, put a numerical figure on what is and what is not long range hunting. Its dependant on far to many variables to use a rigid set of perameters.

Just curious of others opinions on the subject.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 11-24-2006, 11:25 AM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
Re: Just what is the definition of long range shooting....

This is opinion only!!

[ QUOTE ]
Now for varmints. I do not consider anything less then around 1/2 mile long range for this hunting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Personaly, I dont care if it is paper, vermin or the next world record whitetail, anything close 1/2 mile, including a couple hundred yards short of, is "long range".

Long range is a very subjective term. An 11 year old shooting a 22 lr might just concider 100 yards "long range", whereas a seasoned verteran with the right equipment might concider anything past 400 yards long range.

My opinion is that if any holdovers or turret adjustments are needed for either elevation or windage, this is long range at that point. That will vary based on equipment and conditions.

Remember, this is only my humble opinion!
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 11-24-2006, 11:42 AM
Platinum Member

Remember this is my opinion and doesnt mean I have a clue!
KISS.To me anytime you have to dial the scope,use anything other than the crosshairs(mildots,R-2 or MP-8 reticle for example) or leave the body of a critter-target you are there=long range
Old 11-24-2006, 12:40 PM

I agree that anytime you have to adjust or hold over it's longrange.
JMHO,
Wayne aka WAMBO
Old 11-24-2006, 01:04 PM
Bronze Member

IMO:

Long Range shooting is subjective, depending on the terms and conditions you are dealing with.

For example:

Here in southern Michigan I shoot 13-stripe Michigan Ground Squirrels out of my Uncle's horse farm pastures. Their burrows (holes) endanger the foals (breaking legs). I'm shooting right in the pastures with the horses so I'm limited to .22LR using subsonic ammo and head shots (they aren't tall enough to stick out above the grass any higher). My longest shot-to-date is 72 yards.

Does what I'm doing qualify as long range shooting? Yes, I believe it does.

For that 72 yard shot I had to allow for the 5" drop from my 25 yard zero. I also allowed for 2" of wind drift to hit a target approximately the size of a dime (11/16").

To put that in perspective, it's like hitting a 9 1/2" disc at 1000 yards.

Anybody out there think they can make that shot every time? I know I can't.

So therefore long range shooting depends on the individual shooter, the target, and the equipment (anybody try to shoot prairie dogs @ 300 yards with a peep sight?).

Good question Kirby!
Old 11-24-2006, 03:28 PM
SPONSOR

[ QUOTE ]
Personally, in good shooting conditions, anything over 600 yards on big game is in my opinion Long Range hunting. From there out its just gets to be "Longer, Long range hunting".

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm w/you on that. I too personally consider anything over 600 yds lr.

[ QUOTE ]
In windy conditions, 10-15 mph 400 yards is a long range shot. In really windy conditions, +20 mph, personally I feel 300 yards would be about my limit and a 300 yard shot in +20 mph winds would be considered LR in my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this depend on the cartridge and bullet you are using. It suprises me to see you set such short limits. With those big AMs and those slippery WC bullets. 500 yds in even a 20 mph is no trouble!! Now w/a conventional catridge bullet combo your limits are about right. Personally, I would have no reservations taking a 500 yd shot in 20 mph wind w/the 270 AM or my 300 RUM. Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-24-2006, 06:24 PM
Gold Member

Where I live I shoot from hill Top To Hill Top

It may be 1.2 Mile the way the Crow Flies but it is 1 mile when you waik it out .

We rase are live stock COWS Left Legs 6 in,s Shooter Than there Rights legs

Redbone

Kill more Coyotes

Feed The Buzzards