Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Just In: "The Truth About Wolves in the West"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-01-2004, 07:19 PM
Silver Member
Re: Just In: "The Truth About Wolves in the West"

Cougars may have migrated to Nebraska since the wolves were probably out competing the cougars for food. It wouldn't surprise me if they did hitch a ride though....

As for the 3 wolves that the DNR said were coyotes - then shoot them since they are legal prey! I think I would follow the 3 S's on that though.

While elk hunting this year, I thought it was strange that the bulls were bugling, but there were NO cows calling. I found out why a couple weeks into the season when I heard wolves howling.

I think we need to reintroduce them into some more of their original habitat, places such as Central Park in NYC. Then maybe some of these tree hugging morons will decide that the wolves are not all that when their little fluffy dog gets eaten while out for a walk in the park!

I think the west needs to file a class action lawsuit against the feds for not allowing them to control the population, after all it is affecting interstate commerce.
I wouldn't be surprised if they are doing (or will be doing) the same BS with grizzly bears too.

I'll take my tin foil hat off now and turn rant mode off....
I keep nature balanced - I hunt everything!

Unread 12-01-2004, 07:34 PM
Silver Member

Fellas, if you REALLY want to get to the bottom of what your states are doing, file an FOI (Freedom of Information) request and force them to produce documents related to what you're after. They're not that expensive to do, but be prepared for a wait.....
Unread 12-01-2004, 07:43 PM
Bronze Member

best watch out for tracking collars if you happen to get wolf between you and your cleaning canadian friends tell me the best shot on a wolf is in the guts then either their kin eats them or the poor old coyote gets even.we had one stalk us on a bow hunt two seasons ago.i saw a wolf outside salmon id in 1965,but it was a usa wolf,not the alberta type.i suspose if feds were not spending all their time in office,they would of known we all ready had wolves in id.wolves have been seen on outlying areas of Boise,(Capital)so it sure seems like time for controlled hunt. [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
good luck
Unread 12-01-2004, 10:42 PM
Gold Member

Several years ago a farmer I know told me that he had heard the IL DNR released several pair of wolves in our area of Knox County. I hadn't thought much about it until now. This past Spring I walked out of the house about 7:30 am and saw two "coyotes" had a doe cornered down in our bottoms about 150yds away. She looked as though she was about to drop a fawn and they were there to take it. I thought boy these are big coyotes, looked more like sled dogs. By the time I could get a rifle out of the safe and loaded they were gone with the fawn, only the doe was left and she nosed under some reed grass to rest. Maybe there is some truth to the farmers story. Any more, when I walk our property especially at night, I like to be armed.
Unread 12-02-2004, 08:11 AM
Bronze Member

DB, you are unnecessarily nervous about protecting yourself against wolves. According to the environmentalists there is not a recorded incident of a wild wolf attack on a human being anywhere in the world, ever! There was a good article in one of the outdoor magazines about a year ago that really went into detail about all of their propaganda on this.
It's really interesting to tell the people here in Russia about that article. These people look at you like you're from a different planet. The Russians tell stories of people being eaten at the city gates of St Petersburg by wolves in the 17 and 18 hundreds - but then it is probably just gossip being spread by unsifsticated folks who are making the stories up - afterall a trained environmentalist wouldn't lie about such things!
Unread 12-02-2004, 08:34 AM

Been tracked by a big cat for about 12 miles one time.... in the dark.... that was pretty hair raising.. realized it when I got to the trail head and another truck was pulling in and the lights hit it... bad news was I was just picking up supplies and heading right back into camp... in the dark.. good thing I was on my fox trotter.. we gaited about 9 of the 12 miles...
Been attacked by a griz...

7 adult Coyotes will kill one adult deer per week for food... read about it, talked about it and now have witnessed it... they will kill and are very efficient as well...

never been approached by the wolves... they are pretty stand-off-ish... sneaky like...

however, I could see it happening once they depleat their natural food supplies... which could happen sooner than later...

It started happening with the big cats... we had one shot in town a few years back .. right on the Golf course.. people were loosing their pets at night... finally game and fish treed this cat.. they attempted to traquilize it.. after 3 missed shots ( yeah they missed him 3 times in a tree .. idiots ) the cat said enough of that and lunged at one of them.... so they had to kill it... right infront of about 100 spectators and golfers...

had a few bears trapped in Cody this year... they have migrated to town for food as well...

we had a school teacher video wolves killing an elk cow that had wondered just to the outskirts of town... the Game and Fish denyed it untill the realized the teacher that videoed it was one of the more respected native residents....

Since G&F were caught transporting the wolves I don't trust them further than I could throw one of them... they are a state run agency with Gov't influence.. so I imagine if we really knew all they were up too we would be horrified...

again this goes back to the anti-guns people and their master plan.. if they eliminate the animals that are to be hunted there is no need to hunt... if there is no need to hunt there are no need for firearms...

think about it people.. I know the NRA is a pain in the ass and I too get 5-7 calls a week from them.. but right now they are our best resource....

here's a master list link....

list of anit gun organizations and people

[ 12-02-2004: Message edited by: Ric Horst ]
Unread 12-03-2004, 10:27 AM
Bronze Member

Fascinating,absolutely fascinating.May i congratulate all of you on a superb post.With all the talk of fancy equipment it is good to remind ourselves that we need something to actually hunt.
On a lighter note,if the antis in the U.S. want to spoil your hunting,rather than re-introduce the wolf they would have been more effective introducing the Scottish Midge.A meaner,nastier piece of work has never "walked" the earth. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]