Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Just In: "The Truth About Wolves in the West"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2004, 03:29 PM
Gold Member

Re: Just In: "The Truth About Wolves in the West"

Corbett,

The SSS idea was RBrowning's not mine. I just seconded it [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Being born and raised in a very rural setting, I have relatively limited faith in the bureaucracy of the Game-n-Parks departments fixing anything they set in motion in anything resembling a timely manner. First off, they'd have to actually admit they made a mistake or miscalculated. That in and of itself is like getting blood from a turnip. And I have a special place in my heart for Ted Turner and his attempts to reintroduce the prairie wolf.

We had had confirmed sitings of cougars *in* Scottsbluff out on the western part of the state not long before I moved to Washington. Here they've banned the use of dogs for hunting, so now we have cougars eating small pets in town and reportedly stalking younger children going to and from school bus stops in the more rural areas.

Thank you, bunny huggers.

Monte
Old 12-01-2004, 03:58 PM
Silver Member

We've had an explosion of bobcats here in Southern Illinois in recent years after being reintroduced. They will flat-out decimate the turkey population.

There are numerous cougar sightings by reputable citizens which were denied...until a BIG kittie was hit & killed by a train of all things.

A DNR officer offered to PAY for a full body mount for any cougar I could kill in one particular county - because he was sure there were none (heh, heh). However, when I asked if that offer extended to the counties just to the south, he declined....... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I agree with milanuk FWIW. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-01-2004, 04:11 PM
Silver Member

Monte,

I think alot of Washington State folks would agree that the influx of Californians changed alot of the hunting laws for the worse. I have a good friend here who grew up out there and he refuses to go back because of it. I had thought of re-locating there myself because the company I work for has several contracts there, but in light of that I'm not sure.
Old 12-01-2004, 05:06 PM
Gold Member

The Michigan DNR treated cougar sightings the same as Bigfoot sightings for decades. Finally a Michigan Tech Univ student got sick of being treated like an imbicile and collected scat, which she PAID to have DNA tested at the federal wildlife lab...it was cougar.
Subsequent investigations by scientists located large amounts of cougar sign and scat hundreds of miles south (and on a different penninsula) in Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore (they termed it a "virtual cougar litterbox".
Now since last fall there have been sighting in suburban Detroit of a full-sized adult. The officials said "it must have been released". Then in August I walked out in my yard and found a half-grown one lying in my garden. So I'm convinced there's a reproductive population.
As a biologist, I can't understand where the government finds such inept ecologists and population biologists to run their programs...it's either that or they just won't listen to them.
Old 12-01-2004, 05:23 PM
Gold Member

Whitewolf,

Coming from the western Nebraska hunting environment to here in central Washington... I have to say this is about the least user-friendly wildlife management system I've ran into yet. A person about needs a lawyer and a GPS to make sure they are hunting in the right area to avoid trouble.

Competitive shooting, though, is a whole different story. Lots of NRA Highpower XTC, Long Range Prone, Hunter Benchrest, Group Benchrest, 600-1000yd Benchrest, rimfire Benchrest, trap, smallbore, etc. Pretty far and few btwn except for trap in Nebraska where I came from.

Monte
Old 12-01-2004, 05:41 PM
Silver Member

Does that mean you get to practice on ground hogs in those competitions? Hope so!

Sorry to hear that about Washington State and the non-user friendly hunting environment. I guess it really has taken a turn for the worse from what I heard it was years ago. I've been living in Virginia for the past 10 years almost, where the hunting is quite user-friendly, but the public lands are jammed with people, unless you go way back in the National Forests, and it takes years to find your niche there. I used to live in West Virginia, and the hunting there was far less crowded and even more user-friendly. But, I'd ultimately like to find a place out West somewhere that's got good skiing and friendly huntinb both :] Maybe Utah...?
Old 12-01-2004, 06:46 PM

Big Cats have a territory.. they "migrate" through an area about over 6-7 days... the territories are quite large...
Do you really think they "walked" to Nebraska? Bet they caught an airplane ride there....

We do need a complete balance but we'll never achieve it.. to many political extermeist groups.. ie: the sierra club tree hugging types.. the one that were behind the wolves being introduced to the park.. ( as if they wern't already there) They have A LOT of money and very savvy, intelligent Lawyers... their money has POWER... and they are winning...

I suspect WI generates a ton of revenue from hunting therefore the state want the numbers...

Wyoming wants to hunt the wolves but we can't get full support from neighboring states to jump on the band wagon... we want to have them termed as a predator off Nat'l forest and a trophy animal on Nat'l forest that way the outfitters can generate revenue for themselves and the state...

but yet again the idiots in that big white hourse just can't seem to see Wyo. point...

feakin morons... sure would like to take a few of them on a ride in the hills to show them how it really is... freakin weak boys wouldn't be able to handle a night or two "in the hills"

I am a hunter but I also respect the need for ALL the animals I like to watch as much as I do hunt... just not alot to watch anymore...