Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Just starting, need help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-08-2009, 06:34 AM
Platinum Member
Re: Just starting, need help.

Great starter platform that is easily capable for Long range deer.

You'll definitely want to handload. Loading for a single cartridge is the best way to get started in handloading.

All the previous recommendations are spot on. Save your brass, read everything you can and practice,practice,practice.

Good luck and keep us posted,
If some is good and more is better, then too much is just right.

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives

Unread 07-08-2009, 09:29 AM
Platinum Member

On my endorsement of Winchester brass... let me add... I recently purchased some Win ammo for my 7mm and the brass was the nickle plated (or whatever it is) stuff. You might want to open the box and actually look at the brass before you decide to purchase.

Unread 07-08-2009, 10:18 AM
Platinum Member

i use lapua brass whenever available for that caliber. all my 300's have a vais on them. handloading is good. the higher bc bullets lessen the impact of any wind. to 500 yards a 150 165 or 180 ballistic tip would be fine. find a load that shoots consistently less that 1" and you are ready . roninflag
Unread 07-08-2009, 08:22 PM
Platinum Member

In terms of cost, yes, reloading is certainly worth the investment. There is a larger up-front cost, in that you have a bunch of equipment to buy and will cost you a couple hundred dollars.

The real value of reloading is customization. By reloading you can build a load that is accurate in your rifle and delivers the right type of bullet for the game you're chasing.

I started much in the same place as you....

My 280 - Updated!

Originally Posted by Firearrow View Post
Thanks for the reply. Is getting into reloading worth the cost for what I am looking for? Or are factory loads going to cut it?
I'm not gonna shoot here. I'm gonna shoot waaaaaaaay over there!