Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Is it just me...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2010, 06:34 PM
Silver Member

Is it just me...

Is it just me or does this kind of stuff happen to others? I drew an off range oryx tag this year here in New Mexico. I was definitely stoked about that. I have done some long range shooting in the past with my 300 Wby and 700 PSS in 308 Win. I have heard about guys getting 500+ yards shots on these critters so, I figured it's an excuse to buy a new gun.

I bought a Rem 700P in 338 Lapua and I have a 15-35x50 LR Leupy on a +20 MOA base and developed a decent load for it. I am gettin MOA at 500 yards and figure I can take one of these critters at medium range with no problem.

I have had a few great vantage points to look over miles of decent territory and am all set up on my shooting mat, Droid X with shooter program, Kestrel 4500, Geovids, bean bag, and the big gun. I don't see a thing. I decide to change locations and found a fresh trail. I follow them and come around a bush to be face to face with an oryx at 20 yards. The oryx and I were both like "WTF is that?!?" Ever try to find something in a 15x scope at 20 yards? I know my own fault for not being prepared with proper equipment. Luckily, it was not a nice one, so I didn't feel too bad about the event.

I have a Rem Model 7 in 308 that I am bedding right now. It will go along next hunt for a walking gun.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:20 PM
Silver Member

Re: Is it just me...

Murphys law what else is there to say.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:59 PM
Bronze Member

Sounds like you just need to mount a C-More on the side of that big ole optic and have it sighted in for 15yards or so!!

At least you had to opportunity to see something?!?!?!

Scott
Old 12-12-2010, 10:26 PM
Silver Member

Every year!

I practice at 600 yrd pulse all the time and the longest shot on a big game animal is 350yrd.

But I always feel better sitting under my spotting tree knowing I can take a shot at 800 yrds if I have to. Nothing like sitting there watching a buck of a life time walk away at 800 yrds and not shooting! I vowed for that to NEVER happen again.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:44 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willys46 View Post
Every year!

I practice at 600 yrd pulse all the time and the longest shot on a big game animal is 350yrd.

But I always feel better sitting under my spotting tree knowing I can take a shot at 800 yrds if I have to. Nothing like sitting there watching a buck of a life time walk away at 800 yrds and not shooting! I vowed for that to NEVER happen again.
Sounds familiar. The reason I got into longer range shooting was a 27" 4x4 blacktail on a ridge across a canyon. The biggest blacktail I have ever seen and bigger than most mulies. He was friggin huge.
Haven't shot one over 410 yards. The 410 yard shot was a nice 18" wide 3x3 blacktail.
Be prepared for the long shot because someday you will need it.
Old 12-13-2010, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booney View Post
Murphys law what else is there to say.
Someone should kick that irish bastard in the nuts! His law is crap!!!
Old 12-13-2010, 07:07 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hntbambi View Post
I bought a Rem 700P in 338 Lapua and I have a 15-35x50 LR Leupy on a +20 MOA base and developed a decent load for it. I am gettin MOA at 500 yards and figure I can take one of these critters at medium range with no problem.
Ding, ding, ding! I think we have found your problem. That scope is WAY overkill on the magnification. Even a 6.5-20x set on low power would have probably allowed you to kill that oryx and would have been more than capable on the high power setting for any shot you had practiced for. Hope your hunt ended up being successful!

NRA Life Member