Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Just a big thank you!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-23-2005, 06:09 AM
Just a big thank you!

Thanks to the help of all the guys here and especially Pete Lincoln, I think I am going to go for a SWS2000 ULV based rifle Intergral picatinny rail (is part of the action). McMillan stock, Sako mag conversion. Lothar Walther match grade barrel. TiAIN or Nitrate *finnish, jewel trigger. Calibre Rem 260. S&B 5-25 PMII Scope.
This set up will mainly be for Target.
Just thinking to myself lately I didn't really have a clue about rifles except a lot of bull I was fed from the gun shops here in Ireland to learning a lot (and am still learning) and hopefully ending up with a gun that I hope will do me for many years. Without the advice of guys like yourselves I would have been ripped off and have ended up with a gun not really suited to my needs. Thank you all again for your help and long live LRH.

Kindest Regards

Unread 04-23-2005, 07:41 AM
Silver Member
Re: Just a big thank you!

Seems like a good choice to me. A couple of small thoughts, one is to get a minimum spec chamber (think its all CIP).

Second is to consider 6.5x55, I think the SWS 2000 may be available in that but would need longer Sako mags (TRG 42 .300 Win Mag). It is the same performance as .260 Rem but has a longer neck so seating long bullets above the shoulder/neck junction is not a problem avoiding donut issues. It has a 26 degree shoulder and mainly good Lapua brass is available. I would try to spec a minimum spec chamber/throat with it though as normal 6.5x55 COL is 80mm. Also a .296"-.294" diameter neck would be nice. My last Blaser in it had a .297" neck. (The neck diameter goes for .260rem or 6.5x55 a long throat in .260 is good so long as you can feed from the mag and seat into the lands, I think the Sako (TGR 22) mags have a 75mm COL).

If you go .260 rem. try the Norma 7-08 brass and neck it down.(no additional kit required) I did not do that I went 243 Lapua, necked it up, turned it etc, had I had known the Norma was availabe I would have tried that first.

Take what I say for what it is worth, the 6.5x55 I have had experience with, the .260rem I went with because I had no choice with the action, I am also still waiting for the rifle so the only thing I can comment on is the case prep with it which I have done.

Last small thought, get a set of Redding Competition dies.

Hope it helps,