Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Just Back From WORK...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2002, 12:21 PM
PUBLISHER

Re: Just Back From WORK...

Ian and anyone else in this situation

You can go back and edit or even delete your own post. Ust click on the right hand icon that looks like a pencil and paper.

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 06-07-2002, 07:19 PM
Silver Member

Allright Ian, if you say it ain't just a fish story, we'll believe you! Hey, since you been around so many bears, what would you say is the "3" most important things to help out when hunting 'em? Thanks a bunch, littletoes.
Old 06-07-2002, 08:55 PM
Platinum Member

My suggestions would be:
Shot placement - break them down by shooting the scapula (shoulder) or central nervous system (spine or brain) and you have control. Bears should not be shot like deer, get them on the ground with your first shot. Why follow and track something with big teeth and toenails.
Habitat - they like water - try to hunt or place baits along or near water. Beaver damns are excellent, they are bear sidewalks.
Bait - can't beat beaver (that might get some reaction...). Another good bait is stale bread-products soaked in cooking grease such as deep fryer grease you mooch from a restaurant. Easy to carry, garbage bags for the buns, sealable pails for the grease and the bears like it a lot. As for other baits, about anything that Mr. Bear decides to munch. Ranges from used Pampers to T-Bone steaks... Canned sardines do a good job to attract and are usually the first thing et.
I sure don't consider myself an expert on anything, learned from some good people and was fortunate to get to play in the woods a lot.
Old 06-11-2002, 11:51 PM
Bronze Member

I don't know if I can compete with Ian's "work" story but I will try.

Regulars on this list may have noticed I have not been around for quite a while. This is because I have been busy with my part-time job as a Technical Advisor to a Canadian company selling weapons and equipment to military and law enforcement agencies

For the last few weeks we have been testing a variety of tactical rifle and handgun suppressors. Lucky for me my boss is not very familiar with suppressors so he hands me all the cool toys to play with and test.

I'd bitch about all the extra work but nobody will listen for some reason. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

This weekend we are off to do a demo for a military unit. Hopefully we can get our hands on a C9 (cdn version of the M249 SAW belt fed machine to showcase our suppressors.

The next thing coming after that are sniper rifles suppressors which will need testing. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Actually we have a test rifle that is fitted with a scope mount that can slide forward to make room for a quick mount night vision device. The sliding mount ensures that proper eye relief is maintained even when the night vision is attached. I told the boss we are going to test the suppressor and night vision on the wiliest of all creatures....the coyote. Of course this will mean I will have to get up at 0'dark thirty to get out while it is still dark but someone has to do it. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Peter Cronhelm
Old 06-12-2002, 12:49 AM
Platinum Member

Wow Ian, must of been great working with them. I never knew.

Peter, I seen one of those SAWs last week at work. Jammie, a dealer came down, picked one up we shipped up for him. He opened it up and put it together, I guess they ship them unfireable he sayed. 223 cal. and belt fed. Bitchin weapon! His was full auto, well he did say it isn't ever his technically. Dealer sample stuff I don't know alot about yet. Said he'd be edjucating some officers this week on it.