Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

The thread is closed

John Burns-Best of the West- equipment

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-23-2004, 01:47 PM
Re: John Burns-Best of the West- equipment

Look I'm just gonna cut thorugh all the politically correct BS....

As I originally said I see both sides of this... my point is this

simply put.. You have a TV, Show, you make video's and DVD's. Wether you like it or not you now have the responsibilty to be absolutly clear on everything in all aspects of LR hunting...

you say....

"just spin it to 450 will work very well..."

and now you just said...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR> I use one BDC calibrated to 7000 ft and 30 degrees for all my western hunting.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>As the range increases and the conditions alter from those the BDC was created for the user will have to compensate by either dialing the BDC to a range further or shorter than the actual range to the target.

"western hunting" now you are being specific before was very generalized....and now you mention they have to compensate for changing conditions other than what the BDC was made for....
Jeeze John... that is my point anyone who read the intial posting would think .. hell just spin and squeeze... Johns has got to be right. When in fact it isn't the truth and you have said so yourself. Many guys who are newly interested in this sport or are learning this sport visit here.. not as many as before but still there are new people visiting here on a regualr basis. Your position, and information, because of what you do needs to be more clear.

All you guys who claim to love this sport and who e-mail John in support of this thread and seem to think I am attacking him.
Well, I am not attacking him.. I am merely pointing out that the last thing we need are novices who don't understand the basics or the equipment they purchase. In reality it isn't just "spin to 450" anywhere you wanna hunt....
They come here for clear consise information, we have the responsibiblty to give them that.

you guys should feel the same whay if you care about this sport...

[ 11-23-2004: Message edited by: Ric Horst ]

Unread 11-23-2004, 03:42 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>You claim to have seen “Beyond Belief” and are no accusing me of blowing legs off so let me know where you saw that?? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I'm sure you don't edit out any parts [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Unread 11-23-2004, 04:55 PM

I think the productive part of this thread is over so the topic is closed.
- -
Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Unread 11-16-2006, 07:44 PM

I've seen all of John's DVD's. If you like this sport, you must learn how to use a Ballistic Software. With such knowledge, you will understand that if you start changing conditions around, your point of impact will change. You will then understand that the BCD is only good for ONE CALIBER, ONE BULLET. Field conditions will change your point of impact and the BCD will not work properly. Therefore, stick to the factory target turret (preferrably 1/4 moa). That way, if you plan to shoot a different bullet weight, all you need is a new Ballistic plot for that grain of bullet. To simplify the DIALING of the knob, don't count clicks, but simply on your chart, 4 clicks = 1 MOA, therefore the number 7 on your turret = 28 clicks. With this in mind, just write out the number 7 on your chart and relate that to the Yardage that it corresponds to from your Ballistic plot. So when you have to dial to 7moa, just quickly turn your dial to the #7 on your knob. For example, if your plot shows a 725 yards to have an Elevation adjustment of 9.54 MOA, just dial your turret to the number 9 + 2 clicks, or dial past that point a few clicks and dial back. Your charge should show that this is at 9.2 (the #9 + 2 clicks)..etc...etc..very easy, and you'll only need to have one scope with different charts for different bullet weight. You can do this using the BCD turret, but it'll be very difficult if you don't shoot the same bullet all the time. However, if you do plan to shoot one bullet and one rifle, the BCD is a great tool as it is faster to dial to the desire range.
Unread 11-16-2006, 09:52 PM
Gold Member

It is a fact that one BDC knob will not work for all conditions at all distances. The best you can do is to re-zero for the new conditions and reset the BDC to zero. This will reindex for the new conditions. This will greatly reduce the error-but not completely eliminate it. You must use your ballistic software and input the new conditions -expected for the hunt-before your trip of course. Better look up the weather on the weather chahnnel! Simply compare the various conditions using your ballistic software and you can easily make up a fine tuned drop/drift chart.
Unread 11-16-2006, 11:16 PM
Silver Member

I consider myself a relatively new long range shooter (700m)(about 3 years and 600 rounds), but lifetime rifleman (at 34 yrs old). I have great interest in becoming proficient in long range shooting and research this very topic and test it at the range. I too questioned how John just dials and shoots and how varying conditions must alter POI. However, I understand that John knows what he is doing...this is obvious from his video. But I am not so "novice" to not have to test this for myself to get a better undestanding of how this all works. Long 1, give us some bloody credit !!

I shoot a 300 RUM with handloads that shoot 1/2 MOA with 180 grain accubond at 3350 fps. I have a ballistic type reticle zeroed at 330 m, and then dead-on out to 400m, 500m and (usually) 600m. I have produced ballistic charts for varying conditions (alt, BP, temp, hum, etc.) and have not seen significant difference out to 500 m, regardless if I am shooting in the prairies(3000 ft), foothills (4500 ft) or mountains (5500 ft). At 600 m, POI starts to be more of a concern, but the wind is much more of a consideration at that range. This is my experience, and based on this, I understand that my set-up is good out to 500 m, at least for all the conditions I hunt in. Sorry Long 1, but "dialing out to 450" easily works for me.
Unread 11-17-2006, 06:04 PM
Silver Member

This post was closed two years ago!!

Depopulator, Long 1 &amp; Ric are long gone!!!

RockZ, May I add that it would be better to adjust for the longest distance you plan to shoot and let the shorter ranges have small errors.

Hope I'm still a member tomorrow [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
The thread is closed