Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Jlk bullets for hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2010, 12:20 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Jlk bullets for hunting

Boyd Heaton used them to kill some deer at long range. He was banned for a while from the forum for being muleheaded and ornery but mostly he is a nice guy who knows a lot of stuff so I posted his video for him. IIRC they were 30 cal 210's from a custom 300 RUM.

Len has since unbanned him, but Boyd spends all his money nowadays wrecking jeeps.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:26 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalobob View Post
Boyd Heaton used them to kill some deer at long range. He was banned for a while from the forum for being muleheaded and ornery but mostly he is a nice guy who knows a lot of stuff so I posted his video for him. IIRC they were 30 cal 210's from a custom 300 RUM.

Len has since unbanned him, but Boyd spends all his money nowadays wrecking jeeps.

Where is said video. I would like to see it.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 02-16-2010, 01:39 PM
Platinum Member

The links are all broken. If you know Boyd you can call him to see where they are now.

Whitetail deer videos
Old 02-16-2010, 05:28 PM
Platinum Member

In this thread he talks about using the same combination to shoot a bear

lets hear it pa boys,howd ya do"ridge to ridge"?
Old 02-17-2010, 05:14 PM
Platinum Member

I live about 25 miles from Swampy who makes the JLK bullets. He is a one man show who has several irons in the fire, so it wouldn't make sense for him to do a huge run of bullets that he doesn't have orders for. He uses J4 jackets just like Berger so one would assume similar performance. I have some 168 gr 7 mm's on hand that I haven't had the chance to try out on game yet. I know Swampy would be glad to have any input from those who have used his bullets on game. Here is his website: www.swampworks.com .

NRA Life Member
Old 02-18-2010, 12:12 AM
Banned

In my testing (though limited) they perform the same on game as the bergers do .they are slightly longer than the bergers and my drops seem to confirm a slightly higher bc than the bergers and accuracy wise they shoot identical groups. I like them a lot but they do take longer to get typically than the bergers. In my experiences do t shoot game with the bergers or the Jlk bullets inside 400 yards. I believe Berger will tell you 300 but I had unsatisfactory performance at 303 and 344 yards with them. Over 400 yards both are good to go. Just my .02
Old 02-18-2010, 09:27 AM
Platinum Member

It is not uncommon to carry two different loads. Some guys on here have a load using Accu-bonds or a partition for short range shots (0-400) and have Bergers and A-maxes for shooting long range. Just a thought.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!