Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

jewell trigger owners?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2008, 01:04 AM
Silver Member

jewell trigger owners?

I just broke down and ordered a Jewell for my 700 through Midway after hearing too much good about them. I have a factory tuned trigger in there now.
Are you glad that you bought a Jewell? How hard are they to adjust? Any installation tips? I also ordered a Badger tac knob, should I just have the smith put the trigger in when he puts my knob on? thanks, I can't wait
Old 09-26-2008, 04:18 AM
Bronze Member

Re: jewell trigger owners?

I currently have two jewels, one in a 700 338Lapua, the other In my 25-06 sendero

Instlation is simple providing you have the correct punches, the triggers are simple to adjust you may not be impressed with them from the factory, and it may take some tinkering with sear engagement and spring weight.

Once you get them set you wont find a better aftermarket trigger
Old 09-26-2008, 05:00 AM
Platinum Member

I have a jewell and I will never own one again. It has creep. It has been back to the smith to try to fix (because I now nothing) and it can't be adjusted out safely. I have read on this site about others who have had this problem and jewells answer is that is allowable creep. I have a friend by the name of Richard Schatz that shoots jewells and he told me to bring it over which I will. Maybe a sixtime world-record holder will be able to complain loud enough to get something done. Funny thing is I am having three more customs built this year, not one has a jewell. I wonder how much money they will loose because they did nothing about these triggers? I often wonder what these people are thinking putting out inferior products and making people wait 6 months on average for stocks and barrels(Broughton). For the most part long range rifles are a luxury not a need. Well I am done whining and complaining for now.

Brent

"The will to win, compares little with the will to prepare to win" Donovan Moran
Old 09-26-2008, 05:00 AM
Banned

i have a jewell in my rem 700, had my smith install and adjust it to about two pounds, could have gone lighter but its a hunting rig so i didnt want to go too light. i really like the trigger its not hard to adjust it just takes a little tinkering to get right where you like it.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:32 AM
Silver Member

Very easy to install. I have mixed feelings about my Jewell trigger. As it came from the factory (ordered from Jewell), it had a fair amount of creep. I called the tech guys, and they said that a little amount of take up ("a few thousands"), is normal. Based on the directions, you can adjust the sear engagement a little less, and that will decrease the take up. Just make sure that you do all the normal safety checks to ensure that you still have enough sear engagement to operate safely.

Mine is now on my varmint rifle, and is adjusted to around 8oz. I don't carry this rifle around, and normally shoot off a bench. If you are going to use it at a light setting, then this trigger is the way to go. If you are going to set it at 1.5-2 lbs, then I would probably buy a different trigger.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:12 AM
Silver Member

You done screwed up! now you're going to have to put a jewel in every rifle you own!
This is how I feel about them. Have 4 and have not a problem w/ any of them.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:55 AM
Gold Member

bipelt: why don't you just send it back to jewell and have them take a look. They'll either replace it or fix it. Nothing is perfect and everybody has lemons.