Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Jesse Jaymes here's your information

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2004, 04:55 PM
PUBLISHER

Re: Jesse Jaymes here\'s your information

Ric, I love your drywall idea!

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 11-26-2004, 09:49 PM

Ric

Went back and re-read all of the additional stuff from the other post. Probably a waste of time re-explaining my intentions. As to new at this "game", yes and no. I've dialed up a few head of game, but our ideas of long range must be quite different. Mine would depend on range access and practice time, and most certainly end at 600 yards.

You see I recently moved from my beloved New Mexico to a $ht hole here in NW Washington. All of my rifles have rusted and my range limitations are a 300 yard public, NRA, you don't ever go do forward of the firing line, POS. I am not willing to drive 3 hours through I-5 Seattle traffic to shoot a rifle. I formerly had two 1000 yard ranges within 40 minutes either direction, but chalk that up to poor life choices.

I still feel a BDC is the way to go for my application and still agree with John's last post. Our highest mountain in my area is 7,000 ft. I'll continue to hunt NM Mulies at around 6,000 ft. I would just have a BDC made for an overall average 6000 ft or so and have everything calibrated to 40 deg. I am trying to hunt out of state, ID, and OR and it seems as though those will be happy mediums. Doubt sheep will ever work out on a GS-11 salary.

I appreciate your dry wall suggestion and will use it some day when I am allowed to walk down and set up my own targets instead of paying .75 cents a piece.

I actually found an article by Dan Lilja on his site that was the most informative I've found so far about long range shooting and differing atmospheric conditions.

I'll listen to any other suggested read or instructional DVD's.
Old 11-27-2004, 08:45 AM

Well... re-read some of the posts and I think you'll agree learning your rifle would be more practical then a BDC.. but to each his own...

read through the archives here... you'll find the info. you need.