Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Introduction and Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2007, 07:24 PM

Introduction and Thanks

Hello all allow me to introduce myself. I have been out of the game for about 6 years now and have been drug back in by my son who has taken an intrest in hunting. But now I get to have more excitement watching and I always have a spotter. I see a lot of changes were made in the time I was away and will need time to decifer what wildcat I want to build but for now my 40x will have to do. I see the internet as a viechle to learn and that is what I am here to do. Long range shooting was passed on to me by others and it is out job to educate and pass out sport on. In either case I have a desire to learn more and contribute what I can which may not be much. While my son was too young to hunt this year he did get to snap a cap at a doe but missed. But the best thing I have ever experianced in my hunting life was the excitement he showed while he was in the spotting scope watching dad take a chip shot of 550 yards on a leagl buck. The excitement reminded me of when I was young and shot my first buck. I am getting old and it is not about the killing any more as I have done more than I need. For me now its about the shot. Its about the fun and education my son. By the way the buck died as I knew he would as I made the same shot many times with no wind. But the funny part was what he said as he looked through the 45 spotting scope. He said dad he is doing the worm dance. Then he stood up after the buck stopped kicking and look at me with amazemant and asked me to teach him to shoot like that. So guys I have to learn more so I can pass this down. I got a lot of worjk to do before next season setting up my reloader and joining a local club and getting ready for next year. I live in Pa. wish to extend my gratitude to you all and the owner of this nice board.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:16 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Introduction and Thanks

Welcome ,the guys here have a welth of knowledge and experiance , their are also some very talented smiths among the group.
Old 03-13-2007, 04:57 AM
Gold Member

Re: Introduction and Thanks

Hey Eddie,

Welcome to the board. It is a great place to gather info and improve your skills.

I am in a similar place with my 5yr old grandson. He took his first feral hog this past Nov. using my, (now his), Ruger Compact in .308 with some reduced load 125gr BT's.

He had told me in the early part of last year he wanted to get him a boar hog, so the fun began. Weekend before last he put two shots of three in less than 1/2" at 180yds with it and would have probably made them all cluster if one had not been a different weight bullet.

Anyway, your in for even more fun than you can imagine, just keep the range time short enough to let them work on things but not long enough to get a sore shoulder. We generally shoot 5 - 19 shots then pack it up. So far it has worked out pretty well for him.

My Photo's

"Heck why would I lie, most folks don't believe the truth when I tell them"