Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Info on breaking in a new Remington SPS700 in .223

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2011, 01:23 PM

Re: Info on breaking in a new Remington SPS700 in .223

Thank you very much. I am thinking I will go with the Leup. One more question. I always cleaned my gun just with patches and solvent. Do I need to run a wire brush? Copper?
Old 01-22-2011, 01:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck44 View Post
Thank you very much. I am thinking I will go with the Leup. One more question. I always cleaned my gun just with patches and solvent. Do I need to run a wire brush? Copper?
Initial break in you may need to use a brush. Depends on your solvent really. I use "Wipe Out" in mine. I really don't use a brush anymore. They do suggest a nylon bristle brush if things get stubborn. I usually use the brush after the second wet patch just to break things up, then just wet patches after that until clean. Then dry patch. The solvent does a good job of getting copper and powder fouling out.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 01-22-2011, 04:06 PM

I have a solvent mix that the old gunsmith that I once worked with had me using. It was a crow oil mix...??? Does that sound firmiliar? He never told me to use a brush on my 300 wthrby but it was broken in. He did want me to clean it after 5 shot groups though it seemed that the first shot was always off. Thank you for taking time to respond. I need the help!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-22-2011, 04:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I have a solvent mix that the old gunsmith that I once worked with had me using. It was a crow oil mix...??? Does that sound familiar? He never told me to use a brush on my 300 wthrby but it was broken in. He did want me to clean it after 5 shot groups though it seemed that the first shot was always off. Thank you for taking time to respond. I need the help!!!!!!!!!

I really don't know anything about the solvent you are referring too. Your first or second shot will always differ from your dirty barrel group to some extent. You want to take note as to where that first shot goes and remember if you cleaned the night before you take a shot at an animal. That way you can adjust for it. As for cleaning regiment, that is determined by how many shots you can shoot accurately before it starts to open up. I would say 20 to 50rnds. Some rifles can handle more, others less. The stuff I use, I am probably going to get away from brushing now that the barrel seems to be broken it.

Tank
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 01-22-2011, 04:44 PM

So do I break the barrel in on just any cheap ammo? I would like to have some idea what the gun is doing durring this period but I hate to waist expensive ammo to do that. Also is there any way to buy ammo off the shelf and expect anything good or do I just need to plan on hand loading to begin with? My Weatherby wouldn't group at all with factory ammo but I later learned that I was trying to shoot 150-170 grain bullets and because of the barrel twist it needed 200-250. It ended up doing the best on 220 but I have learned soooo much reading since then i want to go back and do it all over again.

Is there a rule of thumb on barrel twist/ bullet weight? How do I know were to start?
Old 01-22-2011, 04:51 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
So do I break the barrel in on just any cheap ammo? I would like to have some idea what the gun is doing durring this period but I hate to waist expensive ammo to do that. Also is there any way to buy ammo off the shelf and expect anything good or do I just need to plan on hand loading to begin with? My Weatherby wouldn't group at all with factory ammo but I later learned that I was trying to shoot 150-170 grain bullets and because of the barrel twist it needed 200-250. It ended up doing the best on 220 but I have learned soooo much reading since then i want to go back and do it all over again.

Is there a rule of thumb on barrel twist/ bullet weight? How do I know were to start?
There is no quote on quote rule of thumb on twist rate. You should however plan to use a twist rate that will handle the loads you plan on shooting. If you have a desire to shoot to 1000yd with a 223, then you will need a 1:8 minimum or 1:7 to shoot the heavier VLD bullets. For that distance no less than 75grn bullet should be used. There is some factory ammo that will offer these style of bullets. You should break the barrel in with bullets and loads you plan to shoot. For the first 15 or 20, cheap stuff is fine, but after that, if you plan to hand load this would be the time to start using them to see what kind of consistency you are going to get.

The off the shelf stuff is not going to be that inexpensive. You should try stuff like Hornady Match Superformance, Federal Gold Match, Black Hills, Cor-Bon, and the like. These will give you the best performance. There is some military grade ammo designed to be accurate, just not sure of the nomenclature.

Tank

Old 01-23-2011, 02:03 PM

How do I know what barrel twist I have? Does a more twist mean u can shoot a smaller bullet?

I guess since I bought a factory gun then the twist will dictate what grain bullet I will have to shoot thus limiting me to the yardage. I don't have to shoot 1000yards.. I am basically going to coyote hunt with this gun and hopefully gain some experience in ranging and dialing on my scope. I know I want a nice long range gun but I don't yet know what I want so I feel I can get some experience to help make my decision.