Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Info on breaking in a new Remington SPS700 in .223

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2011, 11:34 AM

Info on breaking in a new Remington SPS700 in .223

What is the proper technique to break in my new rifle? Can I use cheap ammo? Clean after every shot?

I have tons of questions about setting up this rifle for long range hunting and would greatly appriciate some expert advice.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-21-2011, 12:11 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Info on breaking in a new Remington SPS700 in .223

Shoot one shot for 5 shots, cleaning between each shot. Make sure all the copper fouling and powder residue are removed before shooting each shot.

Then 5, 3 shot groups cleaning between each group ensuring completely clean.

Then 5, 5 shot groups cleaning between each group ensuring completely clean.

Depending on how rough the barrel is, it may take a few more groupings. You want it so that you can clean with as few patches as possible by the end of the break in. Right now it take 6 patches to clean my barrel after 20rnds or more. Granted it is a hand lapped barrel and that makes a difference in break in also.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 01-21-2011, 12:26 PM
Gold Member

Buck
You will get a bunch of differant answers to this one.
I load up about 60 fouler bullets (factory ammo will do)
shoot ten shots cleaning between each.
shoot twenty cleaning between every two
shoot thirty cleaning every three
then I start looking for a load 15 shots of each powder im trying(usually three or for types of powder and atleast twp differant bullets.
3 from each take the worst group and shot all cleaning between every three then repeat untill im left with the one with the best grouping and thats my load
takes awhile to get do but has worked for me.
we have two sps we are working loads for this week end
25 gr of varget with 55 gr vmax has worked great in our other 223's
what do you have for a scope?
good luck retiredcpo
Old 01-21-2011, 01:40 PM

Thanks guys.

Retiredcpo, I am in the proccess of purchasing my scope. I have narrowed it down to a leupold 6.5x20, 8.5x25 (not sure if I want the ffp model or not) or the Zeiss conquest 6.5x 20. You see the problem is my whole life I have always tried to buy the best available. Now I am not new to hunting but I am new to long range so I am trying to experiement at first and build my own small caliber long range gun for coyotes and maybe a prarie dog trip in the near future. I have been reading and learing mostly on this site and honestly have learned a lot about checking my scope for trueness and basics of how to set it up but the more I learn the more I am not sure if I am capable of doing it right. I sorta want to just go out and buy a rifle that is ready to go and has a load worked up but I feel like I will not learn much that way. I don't really understand this new obsession that I have with long range but it is consuming me. I am just ready to get started and don't really know where to begin. I know that is a lot of rambling.
Anyways... I have the gun and I have a lot of reloading equipment.. I need to purchase the scope,rings and maybe 20 moa rail???? I would like to shoot out to 1000 yards but that may be more than my 223 is capable of. Maybe if I could feel confident at say.... 600. I would be happy to start with.

I have a mark 5 Weatherby 300. With a 2.5 x10 zeiss that I realoaded shells for that I am pretty good out to 400 but I did that 10 yrs ago and after reading on this site for the last year I realize i didn't know squat. Any advice will be appriciated.

Shanon BUckingham
Old 01-21-2011, 02:49 PM

Here is one method

YouTube - Proper Barrel Break-in Procedure
Old 01-21-2011, 03:13 PM
Platinum Member

Well, sounds like you are the right track so far. Make sure you ask questions when you run into a problem. There is a lot of knowledge at your fingertips to take advantage of. Either scope will work fine. For a 223, I would go with the 6.5-20. Actually that is enough magnification for any caliber really! I shoot a 6.5x20 that I bought at the beginning of deer season. More than enough for a deer out to and past 1000yrds. I was using a Nikon 6-18 for groundhog and could easily see them at 1000yds on 18x.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 01-21-2011, 05:30 PM
Gold Member

Buck
Well it sounds like you are really doing your home work
I really like leupold scopes I have several and just got three back from the
custom shop and I will have more. if you go that way I would stay with the 6.5x20 but for the price i would go with a zeiss from cameraland
Demo Unit Price: $799.99
#43 Mildot, Target Knobs
Zeiss - Camera Land NY
or the rapid z reticle
the 223 is really limited to 600-700 yards for killing varmits IMHO but can get to 1000 for paper work up some hand loads and have fun
If you are ever near Idaho look me up well go shoot
retiredcpo