Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Info about lube in working parts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-05-2007, 12:58 AM
Info about lube in working parts

First off, Len i dont know if this would go in General Discussions or here so do with it what you want

After reading Fifty and GG talking about problems with a new Rem trigger i noticed where the question of lubricants in cold temps came up. I have come into this question many times in our shop so i decided to do a little test. Now this came about in no way to do with LR hunting but instead it had to do with Benelli Super Black Eagle shotguns used during very cold weather duck hunting. Several people reported these shotguns jamming severely when they hunted in below freeizing temps. Now since i have used one of these guns for several years hunting and guiding and never had a problem i was more than a little curious. The Benelli uses a recoil action operated system based on a long spring that extends down the the butt stock. As people would clean there guns they would put large amounts of lube down the recoil spring tube to aid in its movement, redneck common sense. Well alot of these recoil tubes where soaked in lube and worked fine inside our shop, so whats the prob????

Well i decided to take every kind of popular lube we sell and do a little test. I placed a decent amount of each kind of lube on a paper plate, labled them, and put them the freezer for 1hr. Now i know this aint the most complete test but give me a little credit for iniative!

on the plates was Rem Oil (the most common sold), Beretta Oil, Break Free, Hoppes Elite, and a few other misc ones. After 1hr in the cold all the oils had turned into something similiar to very light candle wax, except for the Hoppes Elite and Break Free. Every guy i asked that had the above listed prob with the shotguns was spraying the hell out of there actions with most of the time Rem Oil!! This stuff basically turns to clay when hit with very cold temps and thus siezes up the action!! Now I dont know how this applies to very thick lubes or moly based lubes but it is something to keep in mind and if ur curious do the same test and find out.

I dont know for sure how this would apply to trigger mechanisms but maybe someone smarter will reply.

Just something i thought about when i was reading the other post

Steve Elmenhorst
Third Generation Shooting Supply
"Products for shooters, by shooters"
monday-friday 8:30-5:30 CST

Unread 12-05-2007, 03:03 PM
Gold Member

I use 3 an 1 one . after I clean every thing with M P 7 .

M P 7 is what the Fed Gov Uses in there Battle Ships to clean there Big Guns .

Try It see what you think .

Kill more Coyotes

Feed The Buzzards
Unread 12-05-2007, 05:00 PM
Gold Member
I have a big can of spray REM oil i use to spray on news paper to start the fire in my wood stove! Being from the fridgid midwest most oils out there freeze up or get to thick for most autos. I have found where firing pin assemblies get slow in cold weather as well. What i have found to work in most all weather conditions is G-96 spray oil, wipe it on the entire gun, sheds water, prevents rust and will not freeze. There is another military lube that is wonderful, called Mili-Tec, expensive but is very good for triggers, springs and such. Works real good in barrels that have a fouling problem, shotgun bbls, rifle and pistols too. I mix some with light oil for general purpose.
MILITEC-1 - The ONLY all-purpose synthetic metal conditioner and gun oil

Sticky triggers can be an issue if using plain oils or other teflon types. It dont take too much to render the trigger usless. Most times the problem is caused by too much lube on the parts.

"Let the good times roll"
Unread 12-05-2007, 05:05 PM
Platinum Member
Well, if Doc Ed or Eddie Harren didn't know the truth, I would lie like a dog. I was taught by my father many many decades ago to put 3 in 1 oil on all moving parts. Try to remember that these were the days of soft steel guns so my Dad actually had a clue as to what he was doing.

So one day I decide to adjust the trigger on a 30 year old Rem 700 and no matter how I twist and turn the screws I can't get it adjusted. So after all day of talking to that trigger, I take the rifle to Eddie. He works on it for a while and discovers that the reason that gasoline prices are so high is that I have more oil in the trigger mechanism and down in the fireing pin spring than there is in all of Saudi Arabia. He used about 3 or 4 cans of carb cleaner to dissolve it out and caught all of that gummy 3 in 1 oil in bucket and sold it to Exxon and got rich and retired to Hawaii.

I swear every word of this is true
The Smokin Fur Rifle Club
Unread 12-06-2007, 02:45 PM
Gold Member

Remington Dri-Lube
Unread 12-06-2007, 03:37 PM
Platinum Member
I'll freeze my Hoppes Gun Oil, PB Blaster, Singer Sewing Machine Oil, SPerm Whale Clock Oil, and ATF transmission fluid this weeknd to try similar test. I've used all of them on/in my rifles. Your test was very interesting and thought provoking to read.

NRA Life Member