Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Im New

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-25-2009, 08:46 AM
Silver Member
Re: Im New

Wow, I'm in the same boat you are. Left handed, looking to get a 30 cal. I'm also new to the site. Why did people tell you to get a rh gun if you're left handed? I looked at the 308 and some of the .300's. I also looked at the rems. and the savages. the Savage fp's are really nice, and come in LH models. I also looked at the Rem. 700 sps varmint,which comes in Lh. Most of the people I talked to said i should get a 300 win. because I wanted to hunt with it. I'm still not 100% sure. I also read some negative things about the triangle barrel from Rem. This would be alot easier if i was right handed, just goto the gun shop and pick one out. that would be nice.

Unread 03-27-2009, 05:12 PM
Silver Member
Re: Im New

I am a south paw through and through and I know your pain. Get used to paying extra for what you need.

Finding a Rem M700 LH long action is pretty easy. I myself avoid the newer versions and seek out the older ones. One key "tell" that you are looking at an older M700 is that the bolt will not open when the safety is engaged.

I just dropped off one those older actions at Benchmark Barrels, Arlington WA for a barrel job. They are going to put a 30" 3 grove bbl on it chambered in 300 RUM. The price was pretty reasonable and it was local to me (plus I did not have to deal with interstate shipping).

If you are looking for an over the counter rifle, the guys at Sportsman Warehouse were telling me the other month that the Tikka T3 Varmint's show that they can be special ordered in left hand models chambered in 270 WSM, 7mm WSM, & 300 WSM. That would be pretty cool if it holds true.

Snohomish Co. Washington
NRA Life Member