Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

I'm Done With Remington

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-06-2009, 08:01 PM
Silver Member
Re: I'm Done With Remington

Originally Posted by Slayyer22 View Post
Ditto on that one!

I've had my fair-share of Remingtons & the ONLY one I've had ANY issues with was the Model 522 Viper (semi-auto 22 LR). Talk about an in-accurate POS! You couldn't hit the broad side of a barn!

It was the biggest POS Remington EVER produced!!!

I ALSO will accept your wayward, lost, tired, and/or unwanted Remingtons...

I can always buy another gun safe to store them in. LOL
i to have a pos 522 in my gun safe jams after every shot problem is when me and my freind where kids we put about a millon to rounds through!
ill take any remington handouts to!

Unread 02-07-2009, 08:32 AM
Silver Member

I bought a sps varmint in 17 fireball with new x-mark trigger(fully adjustable by gunsmith).

I had problems getting it to shoot so I sent it back to Remington. A couple of
weeks later they called and told me that it had excessive head space, and would replace the barrel and the action but since the trigger was adjusted below
3 1/2lbs I have to buy a new trigger.

I went around and around about the trigger and what good was it to have a
adjustable trigger if you couldn't adjust it to what you wanted.

Before the next guy wants to take my junk Remington off my hands I paid $560 for it, and ill be glad to send it to you for reimbursement of the purchase
price. Remember it has a new barrel, action and trigger.
Unread 02-10-2009, 03:39 AM
Gold Member

Funny you should mention SPS Tactical had to go back to the Ilion, NY factory for a new barrel too. I had already adjusted the Xmark trigger to a crisp clean 28 oz., so I removed the trigger and the stock. I only sent them the barreled action...a couple of weeks later when I got the barreled action back (fixed and shooting GREAT btw), it had an Xmark trigger in it that was factory adjusted to 2.25 lbs. and sweet as can be.

They did not charge me anything for the trigger...matter of fact, they didn't charge me anything at all...they paid the shipping both ways.

And I have a spare trigger...
Unread 02-11-2009, 09:09 PM

been done with BIG GREEN for a while. sold my final one in last year. they do get a good resale price though?
Unread 04-27-2009, 11:29 PM

Hello, I had my heart set on a Tikka T3 Lite SS in 300 WSM. Unfortunately Bass Pro ran out of these rifles during Christmas and they did not have a clue when they will receive new stock. I checked all the local shops and nothing. So, my next choice was the Remington 700 XCR in 300 WSM. I purchased one from Turners. Next i purchased a Leupold VXII 3-9 x 40 for it and a short action single piece mount. My first problem with the rifle was when i could not start the third screw for the mount. I checked the hole centers from the second and third holes and I came up with 3.628" on the rifle and 3.646" on the Leupold scope. I checked a few more mounts in the store and came up with the same measurement. This difference is enough to keep the screw from starting. So I abandoned the one piece mount Idea and purchased a two piece mount. I took it out to the range and the best group that I got was 3.5" from the bench at 100 yards with 180 gr Federal factory ammo. What i noticed at first that there was a lot of carbon on half of the cartridge neck after the cartridge was ejected. I know this is not good, but anyone can tell me what would be a reasonable factory MOA for a hunting rifle. I'm just a little disappointed with the performance of this rifle. I have a 1.25 MOA out of my century old 1917 W. Enfield.
Unread 04-28-2009, 01:06 AM
Platinum Member

I don't think there's any standard answer for your question. But I feel pretty comfortable saying that the average factory rifle will shoot a lot better than 3.5 moa. They used to do better than that in the late sixties and early 70s, and the quality of the barrels has only improved since that time. It's not uncommon for factory rifles to shoot better than 1 moa in this day and age. A few may even shoot better than 1/2 moa with some careful handload development. To bad you couldn't find the Tikka T3. I've never heard of one of those that didn't shoot respectably well.

I'd make sure there's no loose screws holding the action to the stock and the scope to the receiver. I'd do that after I took the barreled action out of the stock to see if there was anything obviously wrong with the bedding of the action to the stock. Then I'd try it again, and with at least one more bullet weight in a different factory round, if you're using factory ammo. I might even try a different scope if I wasn't sure the scope was good. If I still had 3.5 moa I'd probably end the misery and go ahead and sell it.

Here's a link to a recent thread and with at least one full-time gunsmith's (Fiftydriver) opinion on the matter.
New Rifle: What do you think about this?

Some factory rifles are gems, others will be lemons. The quality control on production line rifles will result in some poor shooters.

Some other gunsmiths may sound in also. You might take it into a knowledgable gunsmith for an inspection if you don't know your way around bolt action rifles. They can inspect it and may be able to see something obviously out-of-whack.

I've only encountered one rifle that shot this poorly (3.5 moa), and I didn't own it for very long.

Last edited by phorwath; 04-28-2009 at 03:22 PM.
Unread 04-28-2009, 07:57 PM

phorwath thanks for your reply. I know the group size is to big but I was going to call remington and i wanted to know where I'm standing. I read on other threads and sites that the Remington Customer Service is not the best and they gave a lot of people the runaround.

I got hold of Remington today, and started telling the Customer Service guy about my problems with this rifle, starting with the scope mount holes. I told him that i checked at least 4 or 5 Leupold mount at the store and they all were the same measurements as the on i had at home. I told him that i need the measurement that Remington uses and the tech told me straight out that probably the holes are drilled wrong. He told me that he will send me a shipping label and send the rifle back to the factory. He also told me that they have to replace the receiver and because of the receiver they have to replace the barrel too. Then i told him that my second problem is the carbon buildup at the neck of the cartridge which he told me that a lot of shooting will have to be done to get that leak. I only shot 20 rounds thru this rifle.

So hopefully they fix this problem. I will keep you posted with how Remington Customer Service will work with me. So far so good.

My son is a cop and I will let him take the rifle out and test it with a different brand and weight ammo just to see if I'm did something wrong. I will try some 150 or 165 grain Remington ammo.

I will upload full size pictures of the cartridge to my website.