Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

im bored!! whats next?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2012, 10:09 PM
Silver Member

im bored!! whats next?

ive grown almost...almost...bored with my rem 700 7mm rem mag. ive loaded 168 vld's to 2975fps and 2 turns of my mark 4 takes me to 1200yards.

now what? i dont have funds for a new build. i can only get to 1200 where i shoot/hunt.

i have punched paper and gongs like crazy but no animals i guess (other than a cow moose at 350-400yrds) and i hunt the bush on cutlines so thats limited to deer kinda. but thats 4 hours away. and the farmers here dont like me shooting because everyone here has cattle.

HOW DO I OVERCOME MY BOREDOM!!!!

signed: an albertan looking for something to do during the cold months
Old 11-08-2012, 10:18 PM
Platinum Member

Re: im bored!! whats next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnb View Post
HOW DO I OVERCOME MY BOREDOM!!!!
YOU TAKE MY ***** HUNTING, THAT'S WHAT!!

Dang dude, you live in land of the giants. I need to get back to Alberta. Did the black bear thing several times in the Peace River area. NOW I need to do some whitetail, muley, and pronghorn.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:33 PM
Silver Member

haha. i would do that. my cousin just shot a 50" moose this year. and i have a line on 200" mule deer i could take year after year. and ive seen pics to prove! guy was full drawn 10 yards away across a swath. and others as well that could be long range.

but that takes time. and im impatient. i want to shoot far but its hard to get there in alberta as far as i can find.

what do you do to pass the boredom of 700 yard shots? thats as far as i can shoot here without crossing anyone.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:47 PM
Gold Member

saxophone
Old 11-08-2012, 10:53 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnb View Post
what do you do to pass the boredom of 700 yard shots? thats as far as i can shoot here without crossing anyone.
You can try to shoot eggs at 600 yards. Thats about 1/3 MOA, takes some real shooting skills and an accurate rifle to do it.

I'm 16
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/

My guess on W3P .308 230 Grain Bullet: G1 .740-.755
Old 11-09-2012, 12:03 AM
Gold Member

Mumbley Peg!!
Old 11-09-2012, 06:49 AM
Platinum Member

It's surprising that living Alberta you can't find some great long range hunting. I live in the armpit of the US(New England) and have hunted Alberta for the last 10+ years for my long range shooting (about 3 hours out of Edmonton mostly). The trophy quality of the deer can't be bettered anywhere in North America. The mulie in my ID was shot there and was first observed at over 1000 yards. Had to get closer because of wind conditions though and took him at 440 yards, 193" typical. But I have had no shortage of challenging long range hunts and good kills from Wainwright to Grand Prarie. If I'm lucky enough to fill my tags early, I can shoot at the huge population of coyotes at any range. I don't blame you for getting bored shooting paper and gongs. It does become very static, I went through the same thing. The shift to long range hunting is a totally different ball game and will humble the very best of the LR target shooters. One successful killing shot on a 10" vital area, under varied conditions, shooting positions, and a good animal at 1000+ yards that doesn't hang from a steel frame is as challenging as it gets. In my opinion, I'm likely to die of old age before I get bored.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt