Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

if you could start all over knowing what you know now

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2011, 09:19 PM

if you could start all over knowing what you know now

Im not new to shooting at all. I am looking to extend my abilities to my limit, distance an precision wise. Knowing we all learn from mistakes and trial and error. iI would rather learn from others mistakes than my own. sSpecifically in the realm of gear an equipment. I already have my foot in the door with a Remington 5r 300win mag and a leupold vx3 low 4.5x14x56. im looking for any input that could be useful from bipods to ammo to range finders or anything else. I guess what Im really asking is what's your current setup and how you got there? So if you could start fresh knowing what you know now with what I have what would you do to achieve an all around long distance shooter. This rifle will see plenty of range time, hunting trips, and be another tool in the shed if the zombies ever attack.
thanx for your needed input.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:26 PM
Bronze Member

Re: if you could start all over knowing what you know now

If I was starting over....I'd start with a 1-8" 223/223AI and about 5000 75gr Amax's. It's about the cheapest long-range practice you can get. I'd save the bigger rifles for hunting but would spend most of the time shooting long range steel with the little rifle.....which is what I do now, but I didn't start there.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:39 PM
Silver Member

If I did it over, I would make sure the gunsmith you take your gun to is very reputable. The smith that I took mine to in Plains MT used to build nice stuff. After getting mine back and finding all the wrongs and cobble job he did with a subpar reamer and finding out I am not the only one, believe me, I learned that lesson.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:23 PM
Gold Member

Don't try and go cheap on the range finder save if that's what it takes to get a good one the first time Swarovski 1500, leica 1600. Same for your weather station Kestrel3000,3500,4000,4500.
there is not cheap replacement for good equipment.

Like said above a 223 with a crap load of good ammo and lots of time behind it learning how to read the wind. Reading the wind is the fun part get that down and you will be way ahead of most.

The more time you spend behind a rifle the better you'll be. but find some one that will shot with you and willing to do it right. If no one will just shot by your self. don't wast time with people that are not really into long range shooting. they will do you more harm than good by wasting your time money and ammo.
I have one person i shot with the rest of my friend all talk a good game but that's it.
they just don't want to put the time and money into it to get good.
Good luck
Old 04-12-2011, 11:16 PM
Platinum Member

What I did right when it came to learning LR...

I read everything thing I could on this site.

I asked questions.

I got a Nightforce NXS

I got a Sendero rifle (used and proved to sub .5 MOA)

I got good reloading components.

What I did wrong...

Probably a ton of little things that may have slowed me down or distracted me, but all part of the learning curve.

Rangefinder... I got a Leica 1200 to start then a 1600. The 1600 can replace your need for a weather station bit you'll need to learn to dope wind. If you have a sub MOA 1K rifle it's just a paperweight without an accurate range.

-Mark
Old 04-13-2011, 03:11 PM
Bronze Member

owning a 7mm rem mag to start off wasn't a good idea. a .223 or .308 would have been much better due to cost and recoil.

i spent so much time and wear on a gun trying to get it right. I can tollerate alot of recoild and abuse for my size but it wasn't a good start for a rifle.

I vote .223 or .308 bolt gun.

I practice with .22lr now alot and shoot my .223 Ar more than anything for practice.
Old 04-13-2011, 04:39 PM
Silver Member

Good Question, good answers, especially about optics, and rangefinders. Truly the events that have enabled me to shoot really long distance is due to 3 factors, Range estimation, Scopes that allow you to dial to distance and the advent of bullets to get high enough BCs and sectional densities to carry out to 1000 yds plus when launched from average velocities of around 3000fps+.
To put all of this togeter in something fun to shoot, and still be capable of tipping over deer,antelope, or coyote, or even an elk, while being easy on your shoulder,and reasonable on your pocket book is a challenge.
The best thing I ever did,was to send Pac nor a remington action and have them make me a 260 AI, with26 inches of fluted stainless steel barrel it will push the high BC 140 gr bullets over 3000fps. The gun does not really have much recoil (My 12 year old can smack the 1000 yd gong)and is very efficient, while shooting consistently in the .2s day in and day out. Topped with an un named scope that will consistenly dial a turret for distances, I can hit 12 to 18 inch steel plates on a decent day out to 1200 yds,and with the high sectional density of these bullets, it is a killer when you hit a game animal. (not to mention making a great sound when it hits the gong)
Lots of fun is the most important thing though, and the equates to a lot of range time enjoying shooting.
It was a long time coming but it is a thrill hitting long range targets, that before this technology, was almost daunting.
Really 600 to 700 yds has become a chip shot.
Lots of fun. Good luck with what ever you develope as half the fun is in the making.