Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

If you could only have one gun...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-20-2006, 01:36 PM
Bronze Member
Re: If you could only have one gun...

Only one rifle? Man I will have to give this some real serious thought by golly. I hope my wife don't read or get a hold on any of this forums posts.....I'll be in hot water for sure. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I would have to pick my .338/300-Ultra wildcat as one gun to do it all. I reckon she would bring down and elephant using a 300 grain solid. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Unread 06-20-2006, 07:39 PM
Bronze Member

If it absolutely had to be one rifle I would keep my Winchester 1895 in 30-06. I like my 338 RUM's also, along with the 8mm mag, 300 H&H, 6.5-06, 243, 358 STA, 375H&H, ect ect ect
etc. But my 95 has and can do it all for me, just not as far out as the others Any large game with in 250
yards can be had with it. It shoots 150-220 grain bullets into an inch@100 with hand loads.
Unread 06-21-2006, 10:13 AM
Platinum Member

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Unread 06-21-2006, 09:11 PM
Silver Member

If you had to limit yourself to one gun (rifle or hand for all of your hunting, what would it be and why?

I would choose my 338RUM. It is a sporter weight Rem 700, is ported and Duracoated with a laminated stock. It shoots half inch at 100 yds with the 225AB and has mild recoil. It shoots flat trajectory and can be loaded with anything from a 180 gr ballistic tip for deer or antelope to a 275 gr A-frame for Kodiak bear. It is light enough to carry around all day, but just heavy enough to be stable on a rest. The scope is a Burris 4.5-15 ballistic plex. The low end is low enough for any close shot that might present itself and the high end is more than adequate for long shots. The scope has excellent clarity and brightness.

I would love to try it out on a big bear some day, and it certainly would not be out of place on an African safari (other than where there is a .40 cal minimum for the big stuff).

Let's hear from some of you other guys!

[/ QUOTE ]

Well for me it is the 30-06 ( in a 24" tube ) it sure is not flashy nor ultra flat shooting so on and so forth. This cartridge has never ever let me down when I have done my part in the field. Has served me well on Deer ( bit too much power for deer if you ask me) Moose at normal ranges Black Bears over bait and hopefully Elk this this year. I like the 06 just for piece of mind when the general seasons overlap as they do here (Whitetail, Mule , Mooose, Elk) Covers all the bases with an accurate hand load, not the best at any one thing but sufficent for many tasks if one knows his limitations. Well time to throw some moose steaks on the grill.
Unread 06-22-2006, 08:26 PM
Silver Member

my .62 cal smoothbore flintlock....... ol betsy...
Unread 06-30-2006, 07:33 PM
Silver Member

M14DMR .308win with a 2.5-10x scope, Accurate, fast follow up shots, 20rnd detachable mag and enought power to kill pretty much anything.
Old aunts used to come up to me at weddings, poking me in the ribs & cackling "You're next". They stopped after I started doing the same thing to them at funerals.
Unread 07-01-2006, 08:04 AM
Silver Member

I'm with Hypersonic and some others on this one about the 30-06. The original post was one gun for everything, so that's my choice. There's so many different 06 loads to choose from, and it's versatility for just about any kind of small or large game, if necessary.

How about - only one kind of pistol, one kind of shotgun and one kind of rifle?
“That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.” - George Orwell