Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

If you could only have one gun...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2006, 07:11 PM
Bronze Member

Re: If you could only have one gun...

If I could only have one gun....I would have to wonder when Hillary Clinton got elected president!

I'm assuming, like Roy in Idaho, that you mean 1 rifle otherwise I'll keep my 12GA Ithaca Turkey Slayer shotgun with nikon turkey scope and ONLY hunt turkey! (I'm a turkey junkie!!!!)

1 rifle for me....338 Lapua
Old 06-14-2006, 07:48 PM
Platinum Member

I was referring to single projectile firearms. I didn't want to leave out xphunter and the like. I too would be lost without my trusty 12 ga come turkey season. It just wouldn't be the same with a rifle.

This was more of a rhetorical question. I just wanted to see what people thought of as their ideal rifle for any hunting that they might possibly do. I personally wouldn't know what to do without my 30-06AI and my 35 Rem Marlin!

NRA Life Member
Old 06-14-2006, 08:11 PM
SPONSOR

[ QUOTE ]
....a potted meat sandwich.....

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I'd rather starve!!!!
Old 06-15-2006, 04:36 PM
Silver Member

I've gotta go with my gut on this one. My one Rifle would be My shorty 11" barreled bushmaster SBR with silencer and quick detach Leupold scope, surefire integrated light/foregrip and NV compatible aimpoint M3. I would be sure to pack the 22lr conversion as well. I could protect myself and quietly kill just about anything I needed to sustain my family for a long time. Sorry guys, I let you down and went with an autoloader.

Be kind to your neighbors... shoot quietly..
WWW.Gem-tech.com
WWW.Advanced-Armament.com
Old 06-15-2006, 04:45 PM
Platinum Member

Bill

I guess you prefer cowboy food
Old 06-15-2006, 05:23 PM
Silver Member

buffalobob I can't speak for Bill Bailey but I will take a fresh plate of calf fries anytime! 'Specially when they're hot off the bbq grill and just a little bit runny [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] That's a poor mans caviar!!!

I would have to agree with those who said a 308 Winchester. It is about as versatile as any other caliber and it is quite managable to shoot. I could hunt muley's, elk, speed goats, blackies, coyotes and anything else in my part of the world with a 308 and good handloads. The fact that you can poke purty little holes in paper from a long ways measures in to my answer, too. Plus, like some one before me said, ammo is readily available just in case the s**t gets too thick and you don't have any handloads available.

dc
Old 06-15-2006, 07:05 PM
Gold Member

300 Win Mag.

I think you could definately handle anything on this continent and most (not ALL) of African game also w /a 200 grain Accubond or Partition or any other well constructed bullet for your game of choice. You can get ammo anywhere, like the 30-06.