Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

ideas for a rest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2003, 05:47 PM
Silver Member

Re: ideas for a rest

I will post pictures as soon as possible but will try to explain for now. I use a camera tripod and geared head. My stock is aluminum and has a flat bottom. To the tripod head, I built a peice of channel 14 inches long and 3 inches wide for the stock to ride on. There is no support under the rear of the stock just the channel centered at the balance point, the trigger gaurd bumps up against the end of the channel so gun is always in the same spot. I used the loop side of adhesive backed velcro to line the channel with, for a smooth recoil. This way the gun slides freely on the rest and very little torque is put on the tripod from recoil. The complete setup weighs 7lbs and fits in a 5X8X26 inch bag. Sitting down I can shoot 2-3 inch groups at 500 yards. If shooting any farther than 500 yards standing would require a more stable tripod than I have.
Old 11-04-2003, 07:35 PM
Silver Member

try NightforceOptics.com they make a special tripod
Old 11-16-2003, 12:39 AM
Gold Member

Petander,
I've really studied your photos, but can't work out what it is that you've used for the front and rear rests. Please enlighten me, I want to build one of these!
Old 11-17-2003, 06:18 AM
PUBLISHER

MTBA

Yours is a unique twist. I may try it. If so, I would attach a quick-release plate to the bottom of the channel. Then I could quickly switch between the channel (used for shooting) and my spotting scope.

So far, wiith Dave King's encouragement, I have found a short Harris bipod to always be workable. But it would be nice to have a version of your channel-rest in the gear bag that I bring along in the truck on hunts. Never know when a prone shooting stance may not be possible due to terrain or vegetation.

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 11-17-2003, 06:54 AM
Silver Member

Here's a contraption I made out of an "Ultimate" Tripod.. With this setup I can go from the ground/truck hood to the tripod very quickly.. It's since had a plate mounted to the back of the front deck to prevent the bipod from slipping off.. Which was only a problem if I wasn't paying attention.. This version is under 10#, I think, and will fit in a Coleman chair bag.. Good luck with whatever you decide.. I've had as much fun making these contraptions as I've had using them.. d:^) JiNC

Here's a "BR" version..
Old 11-17-2003, 08:00 AM
PUBLISHER

Jake

In my quest for the perfect field rest...I own one of the Ultimate Tripods, too. Great idea for bipod adaptation.

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 11-17-2003, 09:49 AM
Platinum Member

Len,
Being so into photography I am sure you are aware of Kirk stuff - http://www.kirkphoto.com/platforms.html

I use the little clamps for various shooting jobs - they are the very best way to quick-detach spotting scopes for instance. You can get a universal dovetail base, I cut them into short pieces and put them on spotting scopes, chrono stands etc

As for non standing-height shooting rests the Nightforce is the best, simple as that. I agree with Dave, gotta use Harris's but I bet I could also sell you guys on Stoney Point also - they are lighter than my Nightforce.