Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Ideal 1000yd Elk rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2013, 10:04 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Ideal 1000yd Elk rifle?

Mudrunner, I have been there for elk kills with a 257 wby at 400 with one shot, another at 500 took 5 due to fading light and poor placement. But the likeness between 400, 500 and 1200 on elk, are about as close as we are to Jupiter.

It's all good.

Jeff
Old 07-06-2013, 10:10 PM
Bronze Member

Trying to keep this all on topic here. Is it possible to kill a deer at 100 yards with a 22lr? Yes, but if I'm going to spend the money lets do it right the first time. I'm pretty settled on a larger caliber, because simply why not? It's not worth it to me to spend a day tracking a wounded animal that might of went down with a larger caliber. Besides bigger is better right;)?
Old 07-06-2013, 10:17 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liltank View Post
I told you so! Refer to post #1
Now that's funny!!
Old 07-06-2013, 11:08 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
Mudrunner, I have been there for elk kills with a 257 wby at 400 with one shot, another at 500 took 5 due to fading light and poor placement. But the likeness between 400, 500 and 1200 on elk, are about as close as we are to Jupiter.

It's all good.

Jeff
This is true. Like I said, I have no real world experience with it, other than people I know that live here and travel out of state to hunt.

But I am enjoying the learning process and the critical info.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:33 PM
Silver Member

Mudrunner with the 257 Weatherby is by todays standard a little light for elk hunting. I am not sure what has happened with these elk in the last 25 years but the 25 calibers did quite the job on them back in the day. In fact the 257 Weatherby was Roy Weatherbys favorite cartridge and caliber, I personally believe for long range the 338 is a more sensible elk caliber but a quality bullet in a maxed out 257 Weatherby will recoil less and kill effectively at very long ranges. I own 2 and have taken deer at over 500yds before with this cartridge. I truly believe that it was a elk they too would be DRT. I doubt I will ever do this due to my 7mm and 338 rifles
Old 07-06-2013, 11:44 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by idaho elk hunter View Post
Mudrunner with the 257 Weatherby is by todays standard a little light for elk hunting. I am not sure what has happened with these elk in the last 25 years but the 25 calibers did quite the job on them back in the day. In fact the 257 Weatherby was Roy Weatherbys favorite cartridge and caliber, I personally believe for long range the 338 is a more sensible elk caliber but a quality bullet in a maxed out 257 Weatherby will recoil less and kill effectively at very long ranges. I own 2 and have taken deer at over 500yds before with this cartridge. I truly believe that it was a elk they too would be DRT. I doubt I will ever do this due to my 7mm and 338 rifles
Yep, sure was Roy's favorite. I can't remember all the details, but I remember reading that he also used it to take a charging Cape Buffalo in Africa with it, with a 1-shot heart-shot kill, just to prove how capable of a round it was. The details might be slightly different...Since I can't remember the exact story.

The local gunstore owner shot his back in 2007/2008, b/c it was what pushed me over the edge to order mine. And I'm glad I did. Incredible killing power from a small light projectile. Smooth shooting (mine has no break) and blistering velocities are just a plus!

I love the 110 Accubonds for deer, but for the last 6 months been shooting Berger VLD's, including the 115gr VLD's in the .257 Wby. Can't wait to see how they perform on whitetails this year.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:36 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by idaho elk hunter View Post
I own 2 and have taken deer at over 500yds before with this cartridge. I truly believe that it was a elk they too would be DRT. I doubt I will ever do this due to my 7mm and 338 rifles
One question if I may: Have you ever dropped an elk DRT? Ever?

Ever seen one DRT? I have seen and shot some deer, mostly DRT with 270 and bigger. Never an elk.

I have hit elk with 270, 7 mag , 300 mag and 338 win mag, heart lung, high shoulder and spine. Never DRT.

So I'm curious how elk topple over for some people but never for me...