Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Ideal 1000yd Elk rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2013, 09:00 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Ideal 1000yd Elk rifle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
You don't HAVE to have a .338 to kill anything in North America, But alot of the guys on here seem to push that bullet diameter.

seems like alot of people think you have to have the biggest of everything to do anything. I'll admit it, I've been through that phase in my life,
These are the quotes from your post I was addressing. I was not trying to put you down, but if you say you are not looking for debate then please re-read what I quoted from your post.

Your explanation of what you hunt (WT deer) and your kills at ~700 yards explain why you use what you do. But I have killed Elk at close to 1200 yards, That was what you were answering, right? I have also taken them at 1100, 1000, 800 and down. I agree shot placement is king, but would you argue that a shot with a slight miscalculation of drift at 1200 would not be more likely successful with a larger bullet with more energy? Even if it didn't expand fully it would have to make a larger hole and penetrate deeper correct?

Comparison from the real world to help you understand why I at least like the 338's for past 1200 yards.

My 300 win is no slouch sending 215 gr bullets at 3000 plus.

At 1200 yards with a 10 mph FV 9:00 wind the drift is 43 inches and lands with 1880 pounds of energy.

The 7mm-300 with a 180 VLD @ 3100 plus , same shot has 43" of drift but lands with 1445 pounds of energy.

My 338 with a 300 Berger for the same shot has 32" of drift and lands with 3401 pounds of energy.

Close to 12" less drift and double the energy. You are correct about placement, but can you see where 25% less drift would help you if you are off on the hardest factor to tame, the wind? I am sure I don't need to tell you how this magnifies with distance either.

Again, not trying to put anyone down, just stating what I know, how it works for me in an effort to keep accurate info out there for those considering a shot on an elk at 1200 plus as was stated.

Jeff
Old 07-06-2013, 09:04 PM
Platinum Member

Oh, and for the record I do not get free high end equipment. I am not paid to shoot anything. I am just like you in the fact I have a compassion for rifles. I buy as good of equipment as I can afford and shoot as much as I possibly can. There are sacrifices I make like many other people, to do what I love to do.

Jeff
Old 07-06-2013, 09:46 PM
Platinum Member

I told you so! Refer to post #1
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 07-06-2013, 09:55 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
It just seems like alot of people think you have to have the biggest of everything to do anything. I'll admit it, I've been through that phase in my life,
My favorite elk hunting area seems to hold a band of ranges for successful harvests. The area is extremely thick with small openings. The predominant successful either shoot elk within 50 yards or by those setting up in the high ground waiting for the elk to move into open ground. These LR ranges can be 800+ with many opportunities above 1000. 50 or below or 800+. Certainly any centerfire rifle I own is capable of the 50 or below. Many of my rifles are capable of the 800+ but one caliber has proven to be a clear choice and not by successful practice or good fortune but by ballistics capability. I could use my 6.5, or multiple 7’s, 30’s to include the RUM. They all shoot well and some extremely well up to and beyond 1000. Yet I use my 338 Lapua and 300gr Bergers for those long ranges.

I’d admit I’m one of those guys having to go bigger. Moving up to the 338 AM is about as big as you can get for a 338. Ballistics capability at those long ranges is the reason. If I could achieve the same with my other “smaller” cartridges I would use them. Moving up to the 338AM extends my ranges with same hit probability over the 338 Lapua, and I gain kinetic energy. The same can be said for the 338 Lapua over my other rifles. I’ll take higher ballistics and better hit probability and kinetic energy any day and at the expense of powder, recoil, weight. An elk is a big animal, I want to put it down where it stands.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:56 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liltank View Post
I told you so! Refer to post #1
Old 07-06-2013, 09:57 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
Oh, and for the record I do not get free high end equipment. I am not paid to shoot anything. I am just like you in the fact I have a compassion for rifles. I buy as good of equipment as I can afford and shoot as much as I possibly can. There are sacrifices I make like many other people, to do what I love to do.

Jeff
I was saying that there are alot of guys on here who are sponsored or get free stuff....Definitely wasn't pointing fingers there. Can't say I'm not slightly jealous, because that would be a lie.

I understand what you're saying, and once again, none of it was taken offensively. No worries there.

I just know of guys who have shot them with .30's and smaller. For example, my local outdoors store owner took one @ 4xx yards with his custom built .257 Wby with 110 Accubond handloads. He ain't known to lie, and goes exotic hunting all the time (Africa, South America, elk, caribou, moose, antelope, etc...). I know it sounds crazy, but I'm pretty sure it was an elk....But I know it wasn't a recommended caliber for whatever it was, but he said it was a 1-shot dead-in-tracks kill, and the guide was impressed by the caliber's damage.

Then again, inside of 500 yards, I couldn't see why it wouldn't be able to kill it...@ 500 the .257 still has alot of energy at that distance.

Like I said, yall know more than I do, but I AM trying to be helpful.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:00 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMERSS View Post
My favorite elk hunting area seems to hold a band of ranges for successful harvests. The area is extremely thick with small openings. The predominant successful either shoot elk within 50 yards or by those setting up in the high ground waiting for the elk to move into open ground. These LR ranges can be 800+ with many opportunities above 1000. 50 or below or 800+. Certainly any centerfire rifle I own is capable of the 50 or below. Many of my rifles are capable of the 800+ but one caliber has proven to be a clear choice and not by successful practice or good fortune but by ballistics capability. I could use my 6.5, or multiple 7ís, 30ís to include the RUM. They all shoot well and some extremely well up to and beyond 1000. Yet I use my 338 Lapua and 300gr Bergers for those long ranges.

Iíd admit Iím one of those guys having to go bigger. Moving up to the 338 AM is about as big as you can get for a 338. Ballistics capability at those long ranges is the reason. If I could achieve the same with my other ďsmallerĒ cartridges I would use them. Moving up to the 338 extends my ranges with same hit probability over the 338 Lapua, and I gain kinetic energy. The same can be said for the 338 Lapua over my other rifles. Iíll take higher ballistics and better hit probability and kinetic energy any day and at the expense of powder, recoil, weight. An elk is a big animal, I want to put it down where it stands.
Thank you for that response.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.