Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Ideal 1000yd Elk rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2013, 02:31 PM
Bronze Member

Ideal 1000yd Elk rifle?

With the wealth of information on this thread I'm almost more torn on what to get anymore. Would greatly appreciate some more sound advice.
This is where I'm at so far,
.338 or larger, the Lapua, .338/378, perhaps 338win mag? Other suggestions?
I do reload, whats the most cost efficient round to reload and easiest to find bullets/brass so on for?
Lighter is better, but not at the expense of accuracy. I only walk hunt, and though I can I would rather avoid a 20 pound meathammer.
Recommendations on gun maker? Leaning towards the Weathererby Mark V's at the moment due to weight and attractive price. No issue going custom though and spending the money. Custom builders?
One other thing is I would like to load the round down as well, for whitetail or anything else I fancy.
Disclaimer to avoid getting off topic!
I am an experienced shooter, and realize what it takes to shoot into the 1000 yard mark and the moral decisions that come with it when hunting at those ranges.
Thank you for any help guys.
Old 07-05-2013, 03:24 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Ideal 1000yd Elk rifle?

I'll end this open can of argument quickly. 338 anything. If you don't want a 338 anything, then go with the 30 caliber magnums of your choice. If you don't like the 30 caliber magnums of your choice, then look at the 7mm magnums of your choice. If you don't like that, then look at the 6.5mm magnums of your choice. To most, anything smaller is worthless, to others, anything under magnums will work. So we'll leave it at that. I know where this thread is headed, so tread lightly!

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 07-05-2013, 03:34 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liltank View Post
I'll end this open can of argument quickly. 338 anything. If you don't want a 338 anything, then go with the 30 caliber magnums of your choice. If you don't like the 30 caliber magnums of your choice, then look at the 7mm magnums of your choice. If you don't like that, then look at the 6.5mm magnums of your choice. To most, anything smaller is worthless, to others, anything under magnums will work. So we'll leave it at that. I know where this thread is headed, so tread lightly!

Tank
Way to take the smart way out! Like I said I'm almost drawing the line at 338. I own a 7mm magnum and though it shoots out to 1000yards, I would have more piece of mind with a larger round . So I guess this is to become a battle of the .338s.
Old 07-05-2013, 03:52 PM
Silver Member

I don't elk hunt in Arkansas but, I vote for an edge. I have one and it flat shoots and hits hard way out there.
Old 07-05-2013, 03:53 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canderson View Post
I don't elk hunt in Arkansas but, I vote for an edge. I have one and it flat shoots and hits hard way out there.
Gun build? best loads?
Old 07-05-2013, 04:53 PM
Platinum Member

Weatherby Mark V AccuMark .30-378 Wby Mag would be my choice...

The Accumarks are hand-built & fitted rifles....You're buying a semi-custom rifle that has been hand-fitted. Can't beat it for the $2K pricetag.

I have an Accumark .257 Wby Mag and I love it! You will be amazwd at the fitment and accuracy.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 07-05-2013, 05:03 PM
Silver Member

My edge is a BAT HR action with a 30" krieger barrel muscle brake in a McMillan a-5 stock. Nightfroce 5-22. Around 92 grains h1000 with 300 Berger (2820 fps).