Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Idaho Mule Deer and Elk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2003, 06:06 PM

Idaho Mule Deer and Elk

This is what a guy has to say about his elk and mule deer hunt.
http://groovebullets.com/forum/viewt...13530183d4f9c1

Don
Old 10-03-2003, 06:45 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Idaho Mule Deer and Elk

Shakey

The grooved bullet body is a good one. Military has used it for years. Some good ones are coming out of Africa and finally Randy down at Barnes is trying to get his worked out.

I would like to see the designs more like the GS custom bullets out of Africa but I know that Randy didn't want to go for that super sleek bullet because of the twists required.

Paul
Old 10-03-2003, 07:04 PM

ppro,

The Groove Bullets are not the same design as the bullets you speak of from Africa. Groove Bullets have "Grooves" and the bullets from Africa you spoke of have "Bumps" - two totally different concepts.

We are working on a LR (long range) version of the Groove Bullets and will introduce them in the future.

Be well,

Don [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-07-2003, 12:07 AM
Bronze Member

Shaky

Call them what ever you want...the general net effect is still the same. And the African bullets are VERY GOOD, I might add...shooting very well in my guns. Whats nice about the bullets from GS custom is they do provide ballistic information for their bullets. It would help if ballistic data were available for the "groove" bullets....maby it is by now?

Paul
Old 10-07-2003, 09:14 AM

ppro,

I am happy for you that you found a bullet you like.

How close can you load the GS bullets to the lands?

When you say ballistic information, what exactly are you looking for?

We list weight, SD, BC, Length, Base to Ogive information on our web site for all of our hunting bullets. Is there additional information you need?

Don
Old 10-07-2003, 10:18 PM
Bronze Member

Don

I can't get them as close to the lands as I would like i.e. feeding from the magazine in Ultra mags, but they still shoot well enough.

Don
Thanks
I had looked at what I thought were your bullets awhile ago, but I didn't see the B.C. data.........thanks....I will take another look. I would much rather buy U.S. made.
Also....what are the tolerances (manufacturing) that you hold for concentricity of the bullet body, and then the groove to body. I was wondering...plus or minus....what.

'thanks

Paul
Old 10-08-2003, 10:42 PM
Bronze Member

Don

Thanks for explaining your question....yup..the G.S. bullets body rides the land and seals with the.....ridges?...hahaha semantics

Again thanks.....I pretty much thought runout would be the condition of the machine, tooling condition and setup but I wondered (all things being equal) what they were actually coming off the machine.

I have a lot of respect for what you are doing, as it's tough getting started and tougher to deal with the big boys once they decide they want your piece of the pie. You can never sit still for long in the bullet business

I had my own bullet company once and in the late 70's was going to do a match line of bullets with Randy and Connie down at Barnes. I didn't though (I couldn't stand Utah....)and that was home to them, as Idaho is home to me.

Anyway....good luck with your company and I will try your bullets in the future.

kind regards

Paul