Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Idaho LR deer hunt results

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2005, 12:32 PM
Bronze Member

Idaho LR deer hunt results

Just a quick note about our mule deer hunt. Opening day before light my dad and I were up in the rimrocks at the top of a mountain in south central Idaho. we just barely made it up there after our pitch black walk in. The sun just barely peaked out when I sat down and started glassing. I was sweating so much still I kept fogging up my binos.

Anyways, four minutes after opening light I spot two large, heavy bodied mule deer bucks. Lasered them in at 594 with my Leica 1200's. Did my comeups on my scope. I was shooting a Tikka 308 with a 6.5x20 MKIV Leupold. Load was a 165 hollowpoint gameking at a slow 2600fps. I have never used this load on big game before and was concerned with its slow speed. It is smoking accurate though.

They were about even in elevation so I made no adjustments for cosine angle. I touched off round one at the lower deer. He took about 5 steps and fell over. I got out of the way and let my dad take the second. Same results on shot two. A few steps down hill and it was all over.

Both rounds went through broadside right behind the front shoulder and into the offside shoulder. Frankly I was surprised how effective the shots were at such a slow speed.

The bad part was that we were way the F up on this mountain and had two big 4 points to haul out with only our packframes. We quartered them and took the backstraps and headed out, each with a deer on our backs. My dad had to help me stand up after I wiggled into my pack 'cause I could not stand up. The pack out sucked but eventually we got it done.

6 out of 7 in camp got bucks. The seventh rolled a four wheeler on himself and got a trip to the hospital with a broken ankle. It was his own fault for acting stupid.

The next day, after 4 shots I connected with a coyote at a lasered 650. He could not figure out where the shots were coming from.

Overall it was a good way to start off the season.
Old 11-04-2005, 01:10 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Re: Idaho LR deer hunt results

Congrats, but we need pics!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 11-04-2005, 02:33 PM
Bronze Member

Thats great to have 2 large bucks together and both with one shot kills with the same gun were you using a bypod or stoney sticks? Pics would be nice Preacher
Old 11-04-2005, 05:24 PM
Platinum Member

Great hunt

Next time spend a little more time typing. I am sure shooting that much at a coyote at that distance was a good story by itself.

As Kirby says, lets see some pictures. Deer, bullets, coyote and rolled 4X4 would all be nice
Old 11-04-2005, 07:43 PM
Platinum Member

IdahoWoodsbummer:

Congratulations to you and your dad. Great shooting. It doesn't get any better than that. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Like the guys said. Need more details and pictures if you have some.
Old 11-05-2005, 03:19 PM
Bronze Member

I don't know how to get the pics posted. Every time I try it tells me my file is too large and I am not smart enough to make my file smaller.

The coyote was WAY above us and the wind waschanging at different elevations. He could not figure out where he was being shot at from. I actually used my buddies 300 win on him while others spotted the rounds. My partner shoots a Rem 700 with a lilja tube and Accuracy International stock. Load was military match 190 grainers. 6.5X20 MKIV glass.

I will work on the picture thing tommorrow when I get home from work
Old 11-05-2005, 04:29 PM
Bronze Member