Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Idaho high country buck hunt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2012, 11:41 PM
Platinum Member

Idaho high country buck hunt

Well, it was a great hunt. Spiked camped at about 7000 feet and as always, had a great time with my brother. I don't know how to split the photos with the story so I'll just tell the tale and the photos follow.
Got up early opening morning and immediately started spotting animals. Saw an absolute bruiser across the canyon and had him at 925 yards but just not enough time behind the rifle at that distance. I was real comfortable out to about 600. We made a play on the buck but never saw him again. I was going down the same ridge that he was on and I came over a smaller ridge and spotted a group of deer feeding. I glassed the area and spotted a buck laying on a small rock outcroping. I had all the time in the world as he was just resting so I got out the small digital and took a photo of him. I ranged him 3 times at 287 yards and took the shot off the eberlestock barta pack that I use for spike camping. I had waited till he stood up and shot him once through the lungs with a custom 6.5-06 with a hornady 140 sst. (and yes, that is a windfeather on my rifle--one of my most important hunting tools) He took about 6 steps and rolled down the hill. Ended up packing him out the next day with my trusty steeds---TC and Chance. Thats kind of my system for spike camping. Go in light and come out with the horses! After I go get them. I love hunting off of horses but I get way more hunting while backpacking. It's great just to go and get them---saves alot of wear and tear off my 55 year old back. Two days later, my brother got his buck in the same general area. He was using a 338 ultra with 250 grain game kings that I loaded for him. One shot at 130 yards as we jumped him out of his bed. So, without further ado.........

Randy
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Idaho high country buck hunt-hunting-2012-009.jpg   Idaho high country buck hunt-hunting-2012-011.jpg  

Idaho high country buck hunt-hunting-2012-023.jpg   Idaho high country buck hunt-hunting-2012-026.jpg  

Idaho high country buck hunt-hunting-2012-040.jpg   Idaho high country buck hunt-jeff.jpg  

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than be in any city on earth." ---Steve McQueen
Old 10-17-2012, 12:40 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Idaho high country buck hunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnwrunner View Post
Well, it was a great hunt. Spiked camped at about 7000 feet and as always, had a great time with my brother. I don't know how to split the photos with the story so I'll just tell the tale and the photos follow.
Got up early opening morning and immediately started spotting animals. Saw an absolute bruiser across the canyon and had him at 925 yards but just not enough time behind the rifle at that distance. I was real comfortable out to about 600. We made a play on the buck but never saw him again. I was going down the same ridge that he was on and I came over a smaller ridge and spotted a group of deer feeding. I glassed the area and spotted a buck laying on a small rock outcroping. I had all the time in the world as he was just resting so I got out the small digital and took a photo of him. I ranged him 3 times at 287 yards and took the shot off the eberlestock barta pack that I use for spike camping. I had waited till he stood up and shot him once through the lungs with a custom 6.5-06 with a hornady 140 sst. (and yes, that is a windfeather on my rifle--one of my most important hunting tools) He took about 6 steps and rolled down the hill. Ended up packing him out the next day with my trusty steeds---TC and Chance. Thats kind of my system for spike camping. Go in light and come out with the horses! After I go get them. I love hunting off of horses but I get way more hunting while backpacking. It's great just to go and get them---saves alot of wear and tear off my 55 year old back. Two days later, my brother got his buck in the same general area. He was using a 338 ultra with 250 grain game kings that I loaded for him. One shot at 130 yards as we jumped him out of his bed. So, without further ado.........

Randy
Enjoyed the read, good shooing and great pics. Thanks for posting!

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 10-17-2012, 01:02 AM
Platinum Member

Good hunt! The horses are great in and out, but almost need a wrangler while you hunt sometimes.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:35 AM
Platinum Member

Awesome hunt and great pictures.

We can spend a thousand hours and untolled dollars getting ready for long range shots, and then you get a hunt like this.

Sure beats hell on planning and preparing for a hunt like that though and not being prepared for the one over the ridge.

"He was just out of range" really sucks.

Great hunt.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:36 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARPERC View Post
Good hunt! The horses are great in and out, but almost need a wrangler while you hunt sometimes.
Just buy good used field trial horses when the market is down and that problem is solved.

If you already have them get someone to train them to ground tie.

In a pinch just time one rein short to a front leg while the horse is eating.--- Make sure you have reins that don't break easily. I make mine out of 1/2" repelling rope.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:52 AM
Platinum Member

Great feather idea.

I like innovative gizmos.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:36 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Congratulations to you and your brother. Killer pictures Randy.
What a great way to spend time with your brother.

"Character is who you are when nobody is watching"