Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Idaho Boar/Mouflon hunt results and pics..........

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2005, 05:48 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Re: Idaho Boar/Mouflon hunt results and pics..........

7RUMloader,

Yes the wind is a killer at extended ranges. Sounds like your getting pretty good performance. Holding 2/3 moa at 600 yards is nothing to sneeze at. Especially when two of the three are an inch apart.

One thing I have learned in my marriage to my lovely wife is that if you take care of her first, she will let you play afterwards!!!

No hurry, whenever your ready we will fit that 7mm RUM with a bit tighter bore and add a super charger to it [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]!!!

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 05-17-2005, 09:03 PM
SPONSOR

Sounds good enough for me!! I guess the end result is all that matters anyway. That is a nice ram and great story. I think it would have taken me all day to write that. Keep us updated on the testing of these impressive rounds!!

B.J.
Old 05-17-2005, 09:12 PM
Platinum Member

Great story Kirby. Thanks for sharing it. And you know me, I like the pictures almost as much as the story in almost any post.

I'm curious as to the thickness of the jacket on the wildcats and the point type. Were the points tight like SMKs? Also what is the velocity of those rounds at 920 and 610 yards?
Old 05-18-2005, 06:51 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

B.J.,

Will do!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 05-18-2005, 07:08 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

4ked Horn,

I believe these bullets I am using right now are only around .020" thick in the jacket. The next batch I order will probably be built on a bit heavier jacket but them again, for deer I don't know if that is needed with the weight of the bullet.

Only place it would benefit is for close range impacts.

The Meplat is not closed quite as tight as the SMK, similiar but I would say slightly larger which is designed to aid in expansion at extreme range while still offering high B.C. values.

The load I used on this hunt is a realatively watered down load simply because I did not have the Full Length sizing dies in yet from Redding when I developed the load I was going to use for these last two hunt.

As such I was using a 270 WSM die to neck size only and with a case design with this extreme minimum body taper, if you run full tilt you will need to at least partially full length size the case.

As such I used a load of 100.0 gr of WC872 under the 169.5 gr ULD and lit with a Fed-215 primer. This load averages 3265 fps at the chrono.

At 610 yards it is still clipping along at just shy of 2500 fps with an energy of a tick over 2300 ft/lbs. Not to bad.

At 925 yards it is still at over 2100 fps with 1700 ft/lbs of energy.

From my testing this load will offer full expansion out to a full 1500 yards where it still has nearly 1000 ft/lbs of energy, plenty for deer size game with some bullet expansion.

Now, just before I left for this hunt, the Redding FL dies came in so I did some playing around to see how high the round would go with easy extraction using the full length sizing die and I was able to load up to 104.0 gr WC872 which topped 3400 fps in this rifle. This was a top working load and case life would be limited to three to four firings.

With this load at 610 yards you would have 2600 fps and over 2500 ft/lbs of energy. At 925 yards the bullet is still going over 2200 fps and has over 1850 ft/lbs of energy.

Again this is full tilt pressure with this load. I will use a top load of 103.0 gr when I get these rounds shot up and stay with that. That will produce velocities in the high 3300 fps range.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 05-18-2005, 07:54 AM
SPONSOR

Kirby,

Do you think you'll be able to get a few more firings @ 103 grains? As you would say "There are no flies on this round" even with the mild load. It may be worth making a few more clicks with knob to get longer case life.

Thanks for the info. I'll file this away while I patiently wait on my .270 AM to arrive!!

Thanks,
B.J.
Old 05-18-2005, 08:43 AM
Gold Member

Kirby,

Which Wildcat bullet would you use on elk? Would you use a thicker jacket along with bonded or just a thicker jacketed bullet?