Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Idaho Boar/Mouflon hunt results and pics..........

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2005, 02:10 PM
SPONSOR

Re: Idaho Boar/Mouflon hunt results and pics..........

Kirby,

How did the 169.5 perform? Did you recover the bullet?

Just curious, being that I have a .270 AM on order.

Thanks,
B.J.
Old 05-17-2005, 02:13 PM
Gold Member

Nice ram Kirby!! Thanks for sharing your adventure with us as well. Those Allen mags and wildcats are definitly performers!
Old 05-17-2005, 04:00 PM
Gold Member

Kirby,
I agree with everything you said. What I was saying is that if you were just trying to sell us something you could have left the miss out.. But you didn't. You told us about it and used it as a learning lesson for us and for us. For those of us who haven't hunted long range like that, this lesson is extremely valuable to us. Thats all I meant. I hope you didn't take my post negatively I didn't mean it that way at all. In fact just the opposite. I wanted to applaud you for being so humble to share that with us. Thanks again.
Old 05-17-2005, 04:46 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Bill Bailey,

Could not find the bullet. The ram was standing nearly directy face on to me but he was just slightly quartering.

The shot landed on the point of his right shoulder and easily broke it with full penetration though the chest cavity and back toward the hams.

I did not spend alot of time digging for the bullet because as you could imagine at that angle things were not all that nice behind the liver.

The ranch owner had a low income family that wanted any sheep meat we did not take home so I washed the ram out and hung it for them to come pick up.

I did not see an exit wound but it did look like the bullet had traveled back to the ham on the left side. Not to bad for a bullet made on a thinner jacket.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 05-17-2005, 04:48 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

7RUMloader,

Hows that beast of yours shooting for ya?

Yes the Allen Mags have been performing very well. The real test will come in November when I head up to Alberta to try my hand at a monster whitetail, just the game the three smaller Allen Mags were specifically designed to be used on.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 05-17-2005, 04:50 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Boman,

No offense taken at all, I totally understood what you were saying and I appreciate your kind words and respect.

I did not take anything you said to be negative in any way. I was just stressing that even if the equipment is proven and the range is unknown, nothing good will happen, even for experienced hunters.

Thanks and I appreciate the kind words.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 05-17-2005, 05:39 PM
Gold Member

Kirby it's holding it's own with those wildcats and SMK's I been pushing through it. We were shooting a new gong just built sunday at just over 600 yards with a variable and ever changing cross wind. I had trouble getting it on the gong but did have two shots land one inch apart on the back target with a 3rd within 4 inches of those so I'm pleased! Thats the first time I've tested those wildcats longe range. I will be doing more tests soon on paper this time trying for groups ( hopefully with better conditions ) and report back. I'm working as hard as I can so we can seal the deal on that 270 AM but my unfortunate oversight of(forgot I was) getting married this month has set me back a week or two.
Your work made a definite improvement in my rig as far as accuracy and ease to shoot ( thanks to the brake ).
It has been much appreciated!!