Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Idaho adventure with Shawn comes to an end!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2006, 11:07 PM
Gold Member

Re: Idaho adventure with Shawn comes to an end!!!

Interesting, I thought I saw a crack of a smile there too [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Congrats on a very nice buck Kirby! That's some awesome country. Nice write up, once again!
Old 11-22-2006, 01:18 AM
Gold Member

great story, thanks for taking the time for the detailed write up, love reading these stories!

congrats to you and shawn, sounds like you guys earned it, and the buck's not so bad either [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

can't wait to see some more pics
Old 11-22-2006, 02:20 AM
Platinum Member

Kirby,
Great write up, great experience, just a beautiful buck!
My theory <font color="blue">on the buck flopping around like a fish is </font> your bullet just barely hit one side of the antler close to the head, at the base of the antler, and that big canon of yours had him acting up like that.
Growing up in Nicaragua I regularly would go deer hunting with an uncle (on my mother's side) at night, using spot light on one's head and many times my uncle would make head shots at 35 to 50 yards using iron sights. Well many times it happened that the deer would move the head at the shot and would get hit close to the base of an antler and the deer would just go down like a sack of potatoes, quickly get back up and take off running not leaving any signs of a hit.

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 11-22-2006, 06:07 AM
Silver Member

Kirby,

Youíve done it again, what a great buck; mature animal, with heavy beams and long tines. The quality of your deer certainly gives credence to the quality of the hunter. As always your written account was most enjoyable reading.
Those swirling, canyon winds certainly create a formidable obstacle, heh? I know the pressure to make an accurate shot can play havoc with oneís thoughts and confidence, but itís just another factor that separates hunting from target practice. At long range, the animalís sensory defenses are lessened, so Mother Nature seems to step in to even the odds. After putting three good shots into the buck, youíre confidence should be fully restored and you can be proud of yourself for making that extra effort to insure a humane kill.
Congratulations on a great hunt,
Dave
Old 11-22-2006, 06:09 AM
Bronze Member

Kirby

Thank you for such a comprehensive report, it must have taken as long to write up as the hunt itself took!

To end on a high after initial dissapointment is always satisfying and goes to show that you should never give up no matter how bad you think things are becmoming.

The first ever time I went pheasant shooting as a 15 year old I could barely hit the sky, lead was flying everywhere but at the pheasants, I could not fathom what I was doing wrong (I had shot plenty of clay birds without any great difficulty whatsoever), as is always the case, planty of people came forward with advice ranging from "you were a foot behind" you were to 50 feet behind!!, guess they were all trying to be helpful.

The thing I best remember from that day, almost 30 years ago now, was a dry comment from a fellow gun who simply muttered, " whats hit is history, what's missed is mysetery"!!! I think of that on the NUMEROUS occassion that a shot does not go where I wanted!!

Thanks for giving us a "warts and all account" and congrats on great Buck.

How did you find the Manners stock for the terrain shot over?

Jonathan Tomlinson
Yorks
England
Old 11-22-2006, 09:08 AM
Silver Member

Kirby,

Amazing write up as always. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Obstacles are put in our way to be overcome. I am glad Shawn and Travis help you stick in there and overcome it all. What a fine buck too.
Old 11-22-2006, 09:10 AM
SPONSOR

Congrats buddy, damn nice buck!!!!

Sounds like you had a hell of a time, sounds like a lot of fun. Looks like you had some good guys to help you there, Shawn sounds like a hell of a guy.

Good shootin and congrats on the massive buck
steve
"Products for shooters, by shooters"
1-800-522-3314
monday-friday 8:30-5:30 CST