Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Idaho adventure with Shawn comes to an end!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2006, 07:42 PM
Sponsor

Re: Idaho adventure with Shawn comes to an end!!!

It was a pleasure having Kirby up. Hunting canyon country can be demanding from a shooting and physical standpoint. I was happy Kirby kept his head up despite some set backs. I will hunt in almost any condition but sometimes the weather wins. When it is great it is really great, when it sucks it flat sucks.

This sucks and there is just not much to do about it.

Yes, there is a canyon wall over there through the fog only 550 yards away.

Hope to have Kirby up again he was a great client and will be a great friend.

www.defensiveedge.net
1-208-687-2659
Old 11-21-2006, 08:01 PM

Great story Kirby. Sounds like you had a good time. Nice deer wish i had some like that around here. I can't imagine mountains like that. In my part of VA there are no mountains even close to that size. I would like to go out west some day and see stuff like that.

Ben
Old 11-21-2006, 08:08 PM
Platinum Member

So you found those Idaho mountains steep? Now you know why there arenít many pictures of guns with dead animals in those mountains.

I made a little joke post (Peeonit) out of my miss on the little buck at 1350 yards and having to go over and check but I totally agree with you that if there is any question about whether there was or was not a hit you are obligated to go and check to be sure (and that is not a lot of fun in those steep mountians).

You were fortunate to have Shawn with you to help with the spotting because you will remember me whining and complaining that Jimm had gone back home and without him spotting for me I just could not get set up fast enough to kill a deer. Plus it gets pretty boring sitting day after day with no one to talk to. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I suspect your new rifle just didnít have quite as many grey cat hairs in the action as the little green gun and everybody knows that grey cat hairs make a gun shoot through the wind better. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

As far as breaking 1K goes, one can only take the shots that are offered and it is always good to have a goal to be worked toward- the anticipation is what gets us through the spring and summer.

Congratulations on a great hunt and a fine deer.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:23 PM
Silver Member

Kirby,

Thanks for the great read and congrats on a superb trophy. Looks like the camera even caught a trace of a smile tarting to creep onto your face. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Festus
Old 11-21-2006, 08:28 PM
SPONSOR

Kirby,

Great story as always......Good to have friends like Shawn and Travis to help out. I have hunted around Orofino and the Hells Canyon area, and it is steep, but there are lots of whitetails and even a few muleys. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-21-2006, 08:33 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Thanks for all the replies and kind words. Again, this was truely a team effort, all I did was pull the trigger. As we all know, when long range hunting, that is a big part but only one of many parts that much click to take an animal home.

I had a great team behind me for sure.

When I get more pics from Shawn and Travis I will post as many as I can to show you the country we were playing in!!

Again, thanks for the kind words!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 11-21-2006, 09:23 PM
Platinum Member

Kirby-awesome-buck-and-great-story!!!!

Jake