Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

i want a gun that can go the distance

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2009, 10:10 AM
Platinum Member

Re: i want a gun that can go the distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddy12b View Post
When it comes to long range shooting I've never seen a guy at the range with a rifle he didn't at least change a little something on here or there. Your first rifle for long range is going to be your learning gun. Learning not just about long range shooting, but also about learning what you like and don't like about the rifles fit & finish.

You menioned a lot of Remingtons and I'd suggest that you also consider Savages. If you look at the 12 series and law enforcement series you will find plenty of options in a variety of calibers. I'd suggest going with the 308 just because there is so much support for it out there.

Once you get a feel for your rifle and you've been shooting for a while, then it may be time to consider a custom gun. It's kind of like turning 16 and your first car is a dodge viper without trying anything else first. When I knew I wanted to get serious about long range I called savage and made a special order for a 110fp in a different caliber, switched out the stock and I'm the only guy with my rifle. My savages factory accuracy is just as good as some of the custom guns I've seem on the range if not better. You shouldn't have to pay thousands to get a rifle shooting less than 1/2" @ 100. It's not necessary, there's nothing wrong with it, but it's just not necessary.

Learn long range shooting first and find out what you like then get into specialized guns and calibers.

Try the 12FV. Affordable accuracy out of the box. The accu-trigger is sweet for a factory rifle. I own a Mod 12 Low Profile in 300WSM. It started life as a .308. Teddy12 has some good advice about trying a Savage.
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 01-23-2009, 10:39 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jknepp View Post
Try the 12FV. Affordable accuracy out of the box. The accu-trigger is sweet for a factory rifle. I own a Mod 12 Low Profile in 300WSM. It started life as a .308. Teddy12 has some good advice about trying a Savage.

I had a 12FV in 223, and a 12BVSS 223. I would love to pick up a 12 low profile 300WSM. How does that 300 WSM shoot? I've never talked to anyone that actually had one. What bullet weight works best in it?
Old 01-23-2009, 12:16 PM
Platinum Member

It started out as a .308 and was reamed. I have had some problems with a tight chamber due to machining so I really haven't had a good chance to try heavier loads. I did however get it back after some polishing and headspacing adjustment. As of right now 63grns of H4350 is max w/ 210F primer. I also found that 4831SC is a max of 66grn safely. I'm trying to use Hor.l 208 A-Max. I am also trying to acomplish 2900fps out of a 26" barrel. With this new chamber I think I might make it. I know the rifle is capable of .5 or smaller. I did it all the time with the .308. I'll try and keep you up dated.

jk
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!