Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

I took my furthest shot today, 525 yards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2013, 04:36 PM
Bronze Member

Re: I took my furthest shot today, 525 yards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
Congrats and welcome to the money pit

No experience with the other 2, but i sure like my NF scopes. They function flawlessly, glass is excellent and they are extremely rugged field optics.
Im leaning towards the Vortex or the Burris which is the Riflescope with the built in laser rangefinder. Like you said a money pit but hey I enjoy it.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:08 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65 GRENDEL View Post
Im leaning towards the Vortex or the Burris which is the Riflescope with the built in laser rangefinder. Like you said a money pit but hey I enjoy it.
Between the two, I would pick a good Vortex. I've seen some video on the Eliminator and it looks cool, but... it seems not to let you customize your ballisitic info. From what I read, ballistic data is based off factory loads. Can't input environmental conditions such as density altitude. Also, many manufacturer's advertised bullet BC's are exaggerated. I also wonder how well the internals will hold up to repeated recoil? How long is the warranty? Don't mean to be a party pooper, but these are big questions for me.

I think you're better of with a good hand held RF like the Lieca 1600 and a scope with BDC turret. Check your drops at ranges out to 700 yds and put one of these on the elevation turrets...

Custom Turret Systems | Affordable Custom Turret Labels

Good shooting

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 08-12-2013, 09:46 PM
Platinum Member

I think the new burris eliminator has a downloadable ballistics system. That said I would still get a vortex.

Its funny when people complain about not being able to afford 100 rounds a year for practice but they will spend 4-500$ on their gun rack for their atv or go on a guided hunt that costs more than a months wages.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:11 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
Between the two, I would pick a good Vortex. I've seen some video on the Eliminator and it looks cool, but... it seems not to let you customize your ballisitic info. From what I read, ballistic data is based off factory loads. Can't input environmental conditions such as density altitude. Also, many manufacturer's advertised bullet BC's are exaggerated. I also wonder how well the internals will hold up to repeated recoil? How long is the warranty? Don't mean to be a party pooper, but these are big questions for me.

I think you're better of with a good hand held RF like the Lieca 1600 and a scope with BDC turret. Check your drops at ranges out to 700 yds and put one of these on the elevation turrets...

Custom Turret Systems | Affordable Custom Turret Labels

Good shooting
All legitimate questions that should be asked.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:13 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by angus-5024 View Post
I think the new burris eliminator has a downloadable ballistics system. That said I would still get a vortex.

Its funny when people complain about not being able to afford 100 rounds a year for practice but they will spend 4-500$ on their gun rack for their atv or go on a guided hunt that costs more than a months wages.
Absolutely correct.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:48 PM
Silver Member

Went out the other day, and thought I would see what I could do, with rock chucks as my target. This is what my systems are doing. You can check out our website at www.huntthedistance.com Video:
Old 08-15-2013, 05:41 PM
Bronze Member

What Caliber, scope etccc....?