Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

I shot a wolf today! Good Story, Bad Ending

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2009, 09:50 PM
Silver Member

Re: I shot a wolf today! Good Story, Bad Ending

This is a real eye opener. YouTube - North Yellowstone Wolf vs. Rocky Mountain Elk
It absolutley makes me sick. Introducing a foreign species (grey wolves) into the yellowstone eco system is every bit the same as the rabbits and toads in australia. You just cant put a non native species into an ecosystem and expect that ecosystem to remain healthy..
Old 10-31-2009, 12:18 AM
Platinum Member

That is one SAD video, it is a good video, because it is telling the truth to the american people, but is sure very SAD to know that is happening.
Old 10-31-2009, 02:23 AM
Bronze Member

It just makes me sick at my stomach to see what is happening to you guys down there. This will have a long, LOONG term affect on hunting nation wide
and you guys are getting the brunt of it now. The situation is behind the curve and if all stops were pulled now and hunting, trapping and snaring with
no closed season and no bag limit were allowed there today I don't think there would be any chance of reveresing the trend in time to save a huntable
population of any of the herds. It will be a long time before they will come back in huntable numbers and probably will never recover to pre'95 numbers.
To deliberately impose this devestation on the people there as well as the wildlife is nothing less than bonafide criminal activity.
Old 10-31-2009, 12:17 PM
Silver Member

Well back to the wolf hunt, sounds like a good ending to me. you shot a wolf and you still have a tag left so you can shoot at some more. most ranchers have been making the same shot for years on purpose. they tell me a wolf's heart is 4"behind the last rib and 4"below the backbone. try to center your shot there, if it don't work try it on a different one. get out there and burn up some powder.
Old 10-31-2009, 04:26 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by happylilcuss View Post
This is a real eye opener. YouTube - North Yellowstone Wolf vs. Rocky Mountain Elk
It absolutley makes me sick. Introducing a foreign species (grey wolves) into the yellowstone eco system is every bit the same as the rabbits and toads in australia. You just cant put a non native species into an ecosystem and expect that ecosystem to remain healthy..
Well, it wouldn't be strictly accurate to to claim that they're non-native. Wolves used to be part of the eco-system throughout the West, including Yellowstone. The issue is just how many are allowed to exist. The way I see it, their prey used to have a lot more room to avoid wolves and that's no longer the case. When's the last time you saw elk herds out on the prairie where they could see wolves coming from a long ways off? So nobody misunderstands me, I think there are too many. But I have my doubts that it is a big enough issue that you're going to find 500,000+ Montanans who are going to vote to secede from the Union. Are you kidding in this Federal pork-fed welfare state?
Old 10-31-2009, 04:27 PM
Platinum Member

Your right Bud, That is about where we found it to be and solid non-expanding bullets seem to work best. Just a little hole in and out so you don't ruin the hide you know.
Old 10-31-2009, 06:08 PM
Platinum Member

"Well, it wouldn't be strictly accurate to to claim that they're non-native. Wolves used to be part of the eco-system throughout the West, including Yellowstone."

Not so my friend, this wolf is not the wolf that was originally here. Look at the old picture and paintings they are a smaller brush wolf, larger than a coyote. It is an absurd lie that there were no wolves here before the introduction of this none native animal. The wolves that were here were smaller, lighter, and ran in small packs like the size of a coyotes packs or in pairs. Trust me they were here and doing fine before these wolves were released, now we have no local wolves left just the ones that run in super packs and kill like machines. Odd how I can't hardly bare my rear end in the woods without a ticket and they can release animals into there non-native enviroment with an existing population and I still have to pay for that.

I've also heard a wolfs heart is way back in the ribs and it takes a solid bullet to get through to it